Chapter 12

The raspberry colouring of the egg-shaped bump on Kevin's head was testament to his claim of Adie marking him. He refused to let her heal it, insisting on wearing it as a symbol of their relationship status.

"We are not dating," Adie declared for the tenth time since they started their journey back from the island.

Kevin pointed to his head. "What, so you give everyone a hickey right in the middle of their forehead, the most prominent place possible?"

"I did not give you a hickey."

"Really then what would you call it?"

"I... I don't know, but it's not a hickey."

He chuckled and stepped off the boat as it glided alongside the main jetty. He offered her his hand, pulling her against his chest as she disembarked.

"We're mates, I can feel the bond."

"What the hell does that mean anyway?" she huffed, pushing him out of her personal space.

"It means you're mine."

"Now you see, that right there is why we'll never be in a relationship. I belong to no one and you'd do well to remember it."

Turning her back on him, she walked away, taking the path for the main house. He grabbed the picnic basket and jogged to catch up with her.

"Aww come on babe. I was just saying. Would it make it any better if I said that I belong to you?" He begged, taking hold of her elbow to stop her. He set the basket on the ground at his feet and turned her to face him. "Cause I do you know. I'm yours and nothing will change that." He caressed her cheek, running his thumb over the pale pink scar that marred her otherwise perfect skin. "I love you. I know that sounds stupid considering we've only just met, but that's what happens with a bond."

"This is ridiculous," she countered, removing his hand from her arm. "I'm sorry, Kevin, but I don't feel the same way. I don't just fall in love like that."

He smiled. "Not in love, just love. Whatever you need, friend, lover, playmate or protector, that's what I am. All of the above preferably, but I'll take whatever you're willing to give."

She pinched the bridge of her nose, feeling a headache coming on. Closing her eyes against the bright light, she said, "I think I need to get out of the sun. Can we keep this between us for the minute, please? Give me time to get used to the idea at least."

Grinning, he nodded and followed her as far as her room. "You haven't eaten yet. I'll be back in a minute."

He reappeared with the basket of food and, after pushing the bed against the wall, set the remains of the picnic on the spread out blanket. Sitting down at his insistence, she realized she was in fact starving and proceeded to match what he ate.

"I was wondering," she began, once she was done eating. "Do you have a gym or something around here?"

"You mean like a treadmill and stuff?"

"Anything that'll give me a workout."

He wiggled his eyebrows suggestively, moving back out of reach as she made to slap his arm.

"I'm serious Kevin, I need the exercise."

"So am I." He ducked too late to avoid the pillow she swung at his head.

Adie continued to smack him until he surrendered. "Okay, okay. A bunch of us get together to spar. It can get a little rough sometimes." He paused for a moment before adding, "I can ask some of the women if they would spar with you if you want?"