Chapter 28

Trees, densely packed in natures order, blocked every speck of the early morning sunlight from penetrating the forest floor. Travelling for Ben proved more difficult in comparison to his four footed companions. He needed to stay in human form to conserve his strength for the upcoming fight. Twenty of his neighbouring allies flanked him in escort, providing added muscle should Vince decide to play dirty.

Stopping at the brow of the hill overlooking the clearing, Ben questioned himself again. Vince was known for his dirty tricks and rule breaking; Ben fully expected some sort of foul play. It was the extent of foul play that concerned him.

The arena itself consisted of a circle of sand surrounded by a six-foot chain-link fence sitting atop a stone wall. The only break in the circle was the matching door which sat open in invitation for the duellers. Once the door closed, the fight would begin. Two would enter, but only one would leave - a fight to the death.

As he watched, mountains lions began to appear from the tree line, taking up position around the outside of one-half of the arena. Vince strode proudly through the door and turned to watch Ben descend the hill until he was out of sight. It was during this final descent that a strip of luminescent orbs appeared before him. They grew in size and shape until the spirit of Eliza and the other shaman stood in his path, shimmering in the dappled morning light that broke through the thinner canopy of trees.

Eliza stepped forward followed by the others. They surrounded him, making a circle as they joined hands. Soft murmurs sounded accompanied by static sparks. A few seconds later, the spirits vanished as if they'd never been there.

To protect you from serious harm, check his boots, Eliza whispered on the wind.  

Vince's men turned their heads away from their alpha, refusing to meet his eye as he walked around the circle, trailing his fingers along the chain-link. He stopped directly opposite the door and warmed up his muscles while he waited for his challenger. 

"Regis, get a move on!" Vince shouted, his patience wearing thin.

Ben stepped from the cover of trees. "I'm here," he stated. "Shall we go over the rules before we get down to business?"

"What's wrong old man? Your memory failing?" Vince chuckled.

"Just want to be clear on the ground rules so we don't have any underhand tricks."

Vince snorted and narrowed his eyes. "You making accusations?"

"Nope," Ben lied. "Rule one; challenger gets to pick the form. I pick human."

"I've no problem with that." Vince rolled his shoulders, emphasising his chest muscles, hidden beneath the T-shirt, in an attempt to intimidate Ben.

"If either of us shift any time during the fight, Ralph, as a neutral party, will shoot us before the change has finished." He nodded at Ralph who, as the only attendee apart from the fighters, not in animal form, tipped his hat. "No weapons may be used inside the arena but those gifted to us at birth."

Vince shrugged. "Fine, we know the rules. Can you get a move on? I've a meeting this evening."

"As you wish. Strip."

"What?"

"Remove your shirt and boots: Rule four," Ben instructed. "I'll let you keep the breeches to preserve your modesty. Ralph will pat you down."

Ralph stepped into the arena with the gun pointed at Vince, waiting for him to comply. He turned his head slightly to see Ben already removing his shirt. "Strip Vince, there will be no cheating on my watch."

Vince narrowed his eyes and sneered at the man wielding the gun. He removed his shirt quickly and tossed it at Ralph's feet, he then slid the heavy boots off, throwing each one as he removed them.

"Turn and face the fence with your legs spread."

Vince complied with Ralph's order, allowing the man to approach.

As Ralph touched the waistband of Vince's loose fitting trouser, Vince whispered to him, "How much will it take?"

Ralph continued to run his hands down Vince's legs, coming to a stop as he felt something hard tapped to his ankle. Pulling the cloth up to reveal a silver knife with a seven-inch blade, Ralph snorted. "I'm not for sale, and I don't abide cheats. I should shoot you right where you stand for this, but Ben wants this fight, and a fair fight he's going to get."

Ripping the knife from Vince, he stepped back and held it in the air for all to see. After tucking it in his waistband, he proceeded to pat Ben down as well. Finding nothing, he gathered the strewn clothing and left the arena, closing the gate behind him. The snap of the bolt sliding into place rang ominously loud around the clearing.

Vince moved to his right keeping to the edge. Ben countered this by moving to his own right, keeping the space between them equal. Neither one looked away from the other for several minutes, mirroring each other with precision. Vince suddenly launched himself at a full out sprint right for Ben, who dodged at the last second, letting Vince crash into the fence. Numerous animalistic sounding chuckles erupted. Vince growled and ran for him again. Again, Ben dodged at the last second, Vince skidding in the sand to bounce of the chain-link. Frustrated, his anger increased every time Ben smoothly stepped out of his way. 

Ben could see the fury building in his opponent by the way he became snappy in his movements; each dive he made increasing in its carelessness. He waited until Vince breathlessly made another clumsy leap at him and, grabbing him by the upper arm, used his own momentum to propel him back around the way he came at twice the speed. The chain-link bowed under the strain of the impact. The beasts on the far side backed away.

Vince closed his hands, holding the sand inside his fists, and staggered to his feet. Leaning against the post that held the wire, he panted and feigned exertion. He shook the sand from his face, raising his head slowly to meet Ben's eye. Sneering and growling, he sprinted across the arena, tossing the sand in Ben's face at the last second, blinding him. Both of them bounced of the arena enclosure, landing in a tangle of limbs. Both of them struggled to be the first to his feet.

Vince's fist connected with Ben's jaw. Ben lashed out, landing several blows to his opponent's fleshy torso. They broke apart and circled the arena.

Ben rubbed his eyes to clear them of grit. His blurry vision allowed him to see the outline of a body as it raced toward him. Again, Ben used his own momentum against him, shoving him on faster and harder into the fence. The loud crack of breaking wood was heard a brief second before the fence collapsed, scattering the mountain lions in every direction. Vince lay still on the ground, his chest heaving in great gulps of air.

Ben stood at the edge of the arena watching the man try to catch his breath. "Get up Vince," he called. Vince remained unmoving. Stepping over the boundary wall, Ben approached him warily. "Get up so I finish this once and for all."

Moving so fast Ben didn't have time to jump out of the way, Vince swung the broken fence post, catching Ben across the legs hard enough to knock him off his feet. Vince was on him in a flash, punching at Ben's face.

Ben raised his arms in protection. He managed to throw Vince off balance enough,by bucking his torso, that he got his feet between them. He kicked out sending Vince sprawling. They were both on their feet and this time when Vince ran at him Ben stood his ground, throwing his arm up to catch Vince by the throat. He slammed him to the ground. One final blow to Vince's vulnerable throat and it was all over. He lay choking on the ground, his windpipe crushed.

Wild instinct, the nature of the beast, took Vince's men. In an uncontrolled frenzy, they devoured him with pleasure; every last one of Vince's former pride tearing a piece from his flesh.