Chapter 13

"You up for a round or two?" Kevin asked when Bonnie and Becca started back to the group of women to continue sparing practice. "You did really well against Bonnie, for a non-shifter I mean. A lot of the guys won't take her on because of her speed."

"Nah, I've had enough dodging blows for today. I might go for a run before dinner though," Adie replied, distractedly.

"Em, I don't know if Devon would approve that. How far do you want to go?"

Adie sighed in exasperation. "Really? Does he think I'm going to run away or something?"

"Possibly."

She snorted. "Like that's going to happen. I don't even know where we are."

"I could go with you, do circuits round the camp or something."

"I really wanted time alone to think about a few things, but if that's what it takes then yeah, fine, we'll do circuits."

"Great, I can show you around as we run."

They started out at a slow pace around the periphery. Kevin pointed out the main buildings: mess hall, kitchens, dorms for the single men, another for the women and several small cabins for the couples. There was even a schoolroom behind a small store with a playground out the back. It was just as they were passing the playground that the agonized screams rang out.

On investigation, they found one of the children hanging upside down from the top of the slide. A young boy around six-years-old had his leg trapped between the handrail and the top step. His screams brought staff running from the shop, closely followed by the boy's mother. The second she spotted him, her own scream joined her son's in a chorus of pain and fear.

Adie jumped the fence and began issuing orders. "You," she pointed to the woman wearing a bib depicting the store name. "Keep her back and quiet. Kevin I need you to support his weight until I get his leg freed."

She scrambled to the top ahead of Kevin, showing him where to hold the boy.

"What's his name?" she called to the mother over the boys screams.

Kevin replied, "His name's Adam."

"Adam, honey, Kevin here is going to lift you up a little so we can get your leg free. It's going to hurt a little bit, but don't worry, I'm going to help you with the pain."

She placed her hands on his injured leg, sending a pulse through it. His cries died down, letting Adie know the pain relief was working. Nodding to Kevin, she signalled for him to lift the boy further while she twisted the leg. Adam roared in pain as his leg slipped free.

"The bad bit's over now, sweetie," she told him. "Is there somewhere I can work on him? Somewhere private?" she asked Kevin.

"The schoolroom should be empty by now."

"Think you can take him down without jarring his leg?"

Kevin looked behind him at the steps then forward and nodded. "Down the slide. You first."

The shop clerk cleared the teacher's desk of clutter so Kevin could lay the boy down. Adam's crying reduced in intensity, becoming hiccupping sobs. His mother dried her tear streaked face before stepping into his view and took his hand in hers.

Adie cut his pants with scissors she found in the desk drawer and examined his knee. "It definitely dislocated." She turned to the mother. "I can reset it and start the healing process now or you can take him to the hospital and have them do it? It's up to you." 

"The closest hospital is a three hour drive away." She chewed her lip, never taking her eyes of her son. "How sure are you that you can do this?" she finally asked.

"It won't be a problem," Adie assured her, moving to the boy's head. "I'm going to send him to sleep for a little bit, just so he doesn't feel any pain."

It only took a moment for him to close his eyes, his head falling gently to the side. She instructed Kevin to keep a firm hold of his upper leg to keep it immobile while she twisted and pulled from his ankle. The crunch and dull crack of it popping back into place made everyone flinch.

She called for the healing energy of the earth in her mind, closing her eyes in concentration. Shocru. Tiny blue sparks leapt from her hand to his leg, dancing in pulses while she moved her hand around his knee.

Gasps brought her from the trance like state, whipping her head up to see the startled gazes of her two companions.

"Did you see that?" Kevin asked the boy's mother.

"I think so..."

The swelling on Adam's leg deflated, the bruising fading as they watched. Kevin looked up and gasped when he met her glowing eyes. The boy's mother immediately dropped to her knees and bowed her head.

"Thank you Shaman, I am in your debt."

"Whoa," Kevin proclaimed, at the same time. "I'm mated to a Shaman. Holy shit!"