Chapter 15

Kevin knocked on the study door, as if by merely mentioning his name Devon had summoned him.

"Prefect timing as always, Kevin. Come in and fill us in on what you have observed of our lovely Ms Williams," Devon greeted him, indicating a comfortable-looking sofa flanking the well-stocked bookshelves.

"Thank you Sir. The first thing I observed was when Ms Williams, Adie, was sparing with some of the women shifters this afternoon. She appears to have inherited some of your speed. She was more than capable of matching and blocking blows from one of our fastest and most agile women," he began his recount of her activities.

Devon nodded. "Good, an advantageous side-effect. Continue."

"Then, while we were jogging, we came across an injured boy. His Mother was in hysterics, but at Adie's command she silenced almost immediately. So, I believe she may have some residual compulsion."

"Hmm yes, the mother was here requesting leave to take the boy to hospital for a check-up. She was singing both your praises for that little episode. Anything else to report?"

Adie held her breath in anticipation of Kevin revealing that not only did he believe them to be mates, but also that she's a shaman.

"No Sir. That covers my report for today's events."

"Thank you Kevin, you may leave now."

"Sir." Kevin stood and, as he crossed in front of Adie, winked conspiringly.

"Actually Kevin, if you have no other plans for the evening perhaps you would accompany us to the range? I need to test Ms Williams powers and will require some assistance."

"Yes Sir. Will it just be me or should I bring some of the men?" he asked.

"Perhaps one other, thank you."

"I'll bring the jeep around to the front door."

The range comprised of a long open field with targets painted on wooden boards at one end. Around the periphery were tall, solar-powered lamps, bright enough to emulate overcast daylight. In random positions throughout the range, where various abandoned vehicles, including a family saloon car, a bus and a badly damaged private plane. 

"Kevin, you will be taking notes. Pay attention to Ms Williams' at all times. I need to know when you first spot signs of weakness or lethargy," Devon instructed. "You? What is your name?" he pointed to their companion.

"Todd, Sir," replied the young shifter as he snapped to attention.

"Well, Todd, it is your job to try and evade Ms Williams' attacks."

Adie sputtered, shaking her head in disbelief. "Hell no, I'm not purposely going to attack some guy just because you tell me to."

"As I was saying, Todd, you will be inspecting the damage to the vehicles that Ms Williams attacks." He raised his eyebrows in question, waiting for her approval.

She shrugged. As long as she wasn't expected to hurt someone, she could do with a little target practice.

"Well, I have personal experience of your fireballs and control of metal," Devon commented, "but what other abilities did you have before?"

Todd replied, "Healing." He looked away from Devon, embarrassed at having answered when the question wasn't directed at him.

"How would you know this?" Devon asked.

"Sir, my buddy Matt is the guy who found them up near the cabin on Wyatt's Ridge. He saw her heal her mate the night the light show happened."

Adie narrowed her eyes at him.