Chapter 26

The fog of sleep dissipated the instant Adie faded from the dream mist. Ben shook Rick to rouse him, clamping a hand over his mouth to stop him making any noise and waking Joel. Pointing to the door, he let go of Rick and made his way carefully around the bed to wait outside for his son.

Remarkably, the small town had a popular coffee shop right across the street from the motel. Even more surprising was the fact that the drive through was open at 2:30am. Ben ordered a regular coffee with extra sugar for himself and a latte for Rick, taking them to sit in the car.

"What's up Dad?" Rick asked, as Ben closed the door with a soft click.

"The new Shaman just paid me a visit, she wants me to challenge Vince for dominance and take over his pride."

"What? Dad I hate to remind you, but you gave all that shit up because Mum threatened to leave you if you didn't start spending more time with her."

"I know, but he killed Eliza. I have a feeling he may be more involved with Adie's kidnapping than we thought."

"More than just a henchman you mean?"

"Yeah, she recons the vamp will fall easier too if Vince is out of the way. It won't be for long, just until things settle down after Sam deals with Aston... The reason I'm telling you is because I have a favour to ask."

"Anything, Dad, whatever it is, you know I'll do it."

"I'll issue the challenge in a few hours, but I want to speak with Sam and the others first, fill them in on the latest developments. What I need from you is a promise." Ben looked at his son square in the eye. "If this doesn't go according to plan I want you to look after your mom for me." He held up his hand to cut off Rick's protests. "I don't know how this is going to go, but the shaman wants it, so it'll be done. Just promise me you'll look after your mom if something happens to me."

Rick nodded, pulling Ben in for a tight hug. "It'll be okay, the shaman must have something up her sleeve."

Ben mumbled his agreement and slid from the embrace. "I should call Sam and fill him in."