Chapter 36

Lucien sat with his feet propped at the ankles on a coffee table when Callie popped into view, startling him from his musings.

"Hey," he greeted her with a consoling tone. "I didn't expect to see you today."

"I'm bringing someone to meet you." She smiled with her reply, making him question her sanity. She had after all just retrieved her sister's body from the airport and she appeared much too happy.

"Okay," he said hesitantly. "I'm ready when you are."

 Adie appeared beside her sister, mirroring her hand on hip pose.

"Adie this is Lucien, our great, great, great - I don't know how many, but you get the idea - grandfather."

"I really wish you wouldn't refer to me as grandfather, no matter how many greats are attached to it," he said. "It's nice to finally meet you anyway. Would you excuse us a moment?" He pulled Callie to the side and whispered, "I know for a fact that you have only one sister, and I'm sure you told me you were collecting her body from the airport."

"Ha! yeah, a misunderstanding it would seem," Callie replied. "As you can see, she is very much alive."

Adie tutted. "We've been over this a dozen times already, Cal. I'm dead. What you see is my spirit."

"And I've told you, you're not dead."

"Girls!" Lucien interrupted. "I get the picture okay, and I'd have to side with Callie on this. If you were dead, your spirit would not be here, something must be holding you to the upper world. By rights you should be floating around in the Chamber of Lost Souls."

"I read something about that place in the book I brought back with me," Adie mused.

Callie shot her a look. "The one the Shaman gave you? Didn't you say it had stuff about Lucien in it?"

"I haven't read it completely yet, but in essence, yes."

Lucien's ears pricked. "What did it say about the chamber?"

"I'm not sure, but I think it said something about only souls being able to enter and the guide finding the exit on a difficult path."

"Adie," Callie squealed excitedly. "Do you think it means you can go in there?"

"Erm possibly, I am a spirit. I'd have to read more to know for sure. Why?"

"If you can do what I think you can, then you may have found the answer we've been looking for. You can go and get Lucien's soul from the chamber. Once they're re-united he should be able to leave here."

Lucien shook his head. "I don't think it'll be that simple, Callie. If it were that easy..." he stopped talking suddenly.

"If it were that easy what?"

"Let's just see what the book says first," Adie suggested. "We can talk about where we go from there."

*****