Just a Magic Trick

Clara landed heavily on the Doctor, sending them both toppling to the floor. She stood up again; almost instantly, leaving the Doctor sprawled on the road, and looked around. She seemed dazed at what was happening. If she had hesitated for a few seconds longer before jumping, she would've fallen. The Doctor stood up clumsily and spun round on the spot. He swiftly located his precious time machine and walked towards it. The creaking sound of the door opening brought Clara back to the real world. She turned and followed the Doctor inside the TARDIS, closing the door behind her. "I did it. I made the jump."
     The Doctor looked up at her as she started walking towards the console. "Yes you did. Top notch. Thumbs up all round." He spun round to face her for a second, "There's a thing that's been nagging me ever since the Dalek's arrived." He moved round to the monitor.
     "What's that then?" She absentmindedly looked around the console room.
     "The shields." He pulled down a lever and the central column came to life.
     "The shields?" Clara looked at him, confused.
     "Yes, the shields. Don't you remember? On the moon. The shields were protecting the domes and the silos."
     "Why is that important?"
     "Because they're impenetrable, even the TARDIS couldn't get past them. The Daleks shouldn't have been able to make a dent. And that's another point."
     "What?"
     "The Daleks. What are they doing? Why haven't they attacked Earth yet? They're just sitting there." He spun the monitor round so Clara could see. Sure enough there was the Dalek ship, stationary and no longer firing on the moon. The moon itself wasn't looking it's best. "Daleks aren't patient. Something's not right." A familiar ringing sounded in the console room. The Doctor walked towards the door and opened it, he leant across to the small compartment on the outside of the other door, then took out the phone. He put it to his ear, closed the door and walked back towards the console. "Hello, the TARDIS." A familiar voice sounded on the other side of the phone.

=-=

"Doctor." Captain Jack Harkness was stood at one of the many monitor screens inside the hub. The earthquakes hadn't affected the UK as much as the rest of the world. No major damage anywhere. But there was a soft vibrating under foot every now and then.
     "What is it Captain?"
     "It's the Dalek ship Doctor. There isn't one."
     "What?"
     Jack could sense the confusion in his voice. "It's not there. There isn't a ship. It's a holographic projection. A very advanced one at that." There was a pause on the other end of the line. "Doctor?"

=-=

The Doctor was furiously flicking switches and pulling levers. Clara watched him, holding the phone in one hand: the Doctor had told her to hold it for a second. He now turned to the monitor screen, and pulled it round so it was above a different section of the console.
     "What is it? What's happening?" Clara asked, still holding the phone.
     "The Dalek ship... It's a hologram." He smiled, "This has suddenly taken a turn."
     "Why do you look excited?" She seemed worried. The Doctor smiled again, and moved around the console, his hands a blur as they move over the controls. "Doctor?"
     "We're going to check on the ship." He turned a dial.
     "What do you mean?" She stood still, watching him effortlessly work the console.
     "We're going to see what it looks like from the inside." He smiled again, then picked up the phone from Clara's hand, "Hello Captain! Sorry, got to fly." He dropped the phone over his shoulder and continued hovering over the console. "Hold on. Trying to get inside the hologram could cause some turbulence. Something doesn't want us near it..." The TARDIS interior began to shake, Clara held onto the console and looked around, trying to stay standing. Like Clara, the Doctor held onto the console. The TARDIS began to produce the groaning and wheezing noise; filling their ears, "Geronimo!"