Bad news (Chapter 24)

Hi guys. Long time no update. Hope you will enjoy this. Just a little chapter to start of my writing again. Been a long time. I have along finished my animal behaviour and welfare degree so it is time I came back to you lovely readers and started this book once again.

Enjoy. Love you all.

The sights and the smells hit me. The beautiful smells of the food cooking over the fires. So many of them wrapped in to a delicious mouth water odour. It is amazing what the people here can do with what little they can find around them or even managed to bring with them or gain possession of over there travel. Though from what I have found out spices and herds in this area of the world are not cheap.

The sounds of people going about there daily business was refreshing. Seeing them cook, play, talk to one another and enjoy every day life was lovely to see. At this point I am fairly sure I could people watch all day. But I'm sure most people here would find the very strange. Especially since they have had no chance to get to know me at all. 

Passing a tent with the flaps at the front open for all to see in. I saw a group of young children playing together. I smiled unconsciously watching them play. So carefree and with so little worries in their lives. I continued to watch them from a distance. Forgetting I was surrounded by people.

A young boy snatched a little wooden toy off of another girl. And then turned to pull her hair and tease her. "This is my toy Leah. I want it now so you can't have it" he said. Leah's face dropped. Her bottom lip stuck out, her tiny little face scrunched up  and the tears started to well up in her eye.

"But Tyler my daddy gave me that toy. He made it for me. It is mine" her reply to the boy was quiet almost a whisper.

"Well not anymore". My face which was one set in to a smile, turned in to a frown while I listened to the two talk to each other. Deciding I has heard enough I walked towards the pair and the other children surrounding them. They had yet to notice my presence but the soon changed when I got closer. Bending my knees and crouching down beside them I held my hand out to the boy.

"Pass me the toy please". Looking him in the eye. I watched carefully as he thought about what to do. Being a child confronted by an adult he soon but reluctantly handed the toy over to me. "Would you like to tell me why you are taking Leah's toy away and pulling her hair." Raising my eyebrows at the young boy. Not being to stern as they are only children. However this kind of behaviour cannot continue with out there being consequences.

Tyler shook his head. Leaving it at that since I did not watch to upset or push him to much. "Well Tyler could you apologise to Leah please. It wasn't very nice what you did". Pointing towards Leah. The boy followed my hand movement lowered his head and looked at Leah though his eyelashes.

"I'm sorry Leah. I didn't mean to upset you" Leah slowly smiled at tyler and luckily forgave him for what he did. Tyler then proceeded to run off to play with the other kids. He couldn't seem to get away fast enough.

The little girl turned to look at me. Smiling happily. "Thank you for getting my toy back miss." She said. Her beautiful little voice. So high pitch and innocent in her young age. How I missed those times when all was good in the world. Or at least what was how it seemed. To be hidden for the horrors of the world by a protective and loving family. Oh what I would give to have that once more.

I smiled back at the girl. "Your welcome darling. Now go play with your toy, be a good girl." After responding with an 'I will' the girl skipped off towards. Shaded around surrounded by berry bushes and a few willow trees.

I watched her go and settle on the floor before turning away and carrying on my way. There were only a few more tents to pass and I reached Damien's tent. "Hello, Damien. Are you in." It's kind of hard with a tent. You can knock you see. And I don't want to just walk in. No no no. What if he was getting dressed or was indecent.

"Come in." I heard his low rough voice call me from inside the tent. His voice sent shivers down my spine. It wasn't scared shivers though. It was something else. I don't quite know what.

Walking in to the tent I slowly peak around the fabric. To see him sitting on the edge of the bed reading some papers. Letting by the looks of it. He had a frown on his face. I wonder what I could say in those letters to make him frown so. I didn't like it when he frowned.

He looked up from the papers as I walked in. A brief smile turn up the corners of his mouth before he re focused on the papers in front of him.

" is everything ok." I asked. Nothing wrong with asking now is there. Couldn't hurt.

"Nothing you need to worry yourself with." He replied. His tone lowering in a subtle warning not to mention it any further. And I happily took the warning. The last thing I wanted was to make him angry with me. Not after all his has done to help me.

"Won't you come outside Damien. You sit in here all day. Reading your letters. Won't you smile." He once again looked up at my question. Looking straight in to my eyes. God they are beautiful.

"I have work to do. I don't have time to take breaks. Now if that's all you want will you leave me alone so I can get on with it." His voice stern and harsh. I was taken aback. He had never spoken to me like that before. I felt the tears prick in my eyes and my bottom lip wobble. I tried to keep them in. Refusing to let him see how much his dismissal hurt me.

He saw though. As he was already looking in to my eyes. He began to get up. I didn't give him the chance though. For I turn on my heel and ran from the room towards the comfort of the forest. Not going to far. In case of danger I lowered myself to the ground. Wrapping my arms around my legs. Resting my chin on my knees and listening to the sounds of the wildlife and the beautiful silence of the wild world around me.

I closed my eyes and just sat there. As still as I could. However in my concentration I failed to hear the foot steps that walked up behind me. Stopped just to my right.

I didn't hear them until they lowered themselves to the forums next me. It made me jump. Startled I turned to my right. Looking at the person who had managed to creep up on me.

Damien

"I am sorry. I shouldn't have spoken to you in the manner I did. I received some. De stressing news. However my anger should not have been taken out on you. Again I am very sorry little one." I looked him in the eye. I could see nothing but the truth.

I nodded at him. Keeping my distance from his though. "What news Damien."

He sighed. I could tell he would rather it tell me. But I should know especially if he reacted that was towards me and he is using it as his excuse

He closed his eyes took a deep breath before saying was he wanted to. Or didn't want to. As if it was painful for him just to say the words.

....

"The war has started"