book two: chapter three

The drive back to Liam's is quiet as Zayn leans into the alpha's chest and stares out the dark-tinted window while the older man types on his burner phone during the whole thirty-five minute car ride. Zayn can't make out exactly what Liam has been messaging but he was able to see that the mob boss has been talking to Louis and also to Liam's underboss (the second in command to Liam), a man named Justin, who Zayn has yet to meet because from the information Zayn's been able to gather, the underboss has currently been all around Europe dealing with business for Liam in many different European countries. The way he's situated doesn't give him a good glimpse at Liam's phone but he's pretty certain it isn't anything too revealing seeing as he now knows the mob boss doesn't like communicating his important business through phones.

As soon as they arrive to Liam's, the alpha puts his phone away and steps out of the car when Paddy opens the car door for them. Zayn follows behind, smiling sincerely at the driver before walking behind Liam into the alpha's home. Inside, there are a group of soldiers (bottom-level members) who were on guard duty tonight. They all give their alpha a nod and bow their heads before going back to their assigned places and keeping watch. Zayn lets Liam speak to the members as he heads upstairs and into Liam's room where he's quick to strip out of his dark jeans and shirt.

He throws his clothes into the hamper with Liam's dirty clothes and goes to look for his own sweatpants to wear tonight. He's not sure how long Liam's going to talk downstairs so instead of waiting he wants to put on sweats and get under the covers. He's tired, would have probably been asleep by now if Isabella hadn't dragged him out tonight.

"Shame," A low voice speaks behind him as he's pulling on the sweats. He turns around and raises a brow when he sees a shirtless Liam standing in the doorway with his shirt balled up in his hand. Zayn's eyes follow him as he shuts the door to his bedroom and walks to discard his shirt and then slip slowly out of his slacks.

Zayn finally decides to speak as he bites his bottom lip after catching sight of the bulge in Liam's tight grey briefs. "What's a sh - "

Liam's eyes slowly move up Zayn's body before they're looking right into his hazel eyes. "A shame you're not wearing anything I so graciously decided to buy for you the other day. A shame and a fucking waste, it seems."

Zayn's mouth falls open in shock as he stares at Liam's back as the older man walks into his bathroom. He waits to see if the alpha is going to take a shower or just wash his face and brush his teeth so he can decide on whether to follow after him or not. He didn't even think about wearing anything Liam had recently bought for him and he also didn't really care about what he was wearing tonight because he didn't think he'd be seeing or even going home with Liam.

"You're not actually mad about that are you?" Zayn calls out seeing as Liam didn't bother to shut the door to the bathroom. He waits for a reply from the alpha and frowns when nothing is said.

Zayn walks towards the bathroom but stops when Liam walks out, flicking the bathroom light off and leaning against the doorway. He's got a brow raised at Zayn and his mouth set in a grim line. He crosses his arms against his chest before he's shaking his head slowly. "Just let me know next time caro (dear), then I won't have to waste my fucking time in shops."

"I have a hard time believing you were the one inside shops picking everything out," Zayn jokes, trying to break the tension in the room but his words only seem to further upset Liam because the alpha clenches his jaw before walking past him.

He's not entirely sure if Liam's actually upset about the whole thing or just taking out his newfound anger on Zayn. He doesn't recall the alpha being this upset when they were at his nightclub so he can't understand why Liam's upset now. Zayn thinks it probably has to do with whatever he was messaging Louis about.