twenty two

Zayn runs into the hospital and looks around cluelessly. He has no idea where Liam's at so he takes a deep breath and rushes up to the receptionist.

"I— looking for Liam Payne. He's— he's a firefighter, he was brought here," He rambles out, looking at the lady with wide eyes as she nods her heads and clicks into her computer.

"Third floor, room 213," Zayn takes off running to the first elevator he sees, ignoring the no running he gets as he presses the up arrow for the elevator.

He feels a hand on his shoulder, jumping before he realizes it's Harry who's holding out a water bottle to him. "Drink some water, mate. Clear your head— you were drinking remember?"

Zayn takes the bottle and gulps down half of it just in time for the elevator to open up for them. He presses the third floor button and stands against the back of the wall. He's breathing heavily as he tries to catch his breath. His heart is still pounding rapidly as he tries not to think the worst of whatever it is that has Liam in the hospital.

As soon as he steps out of the elevator he stops dead in his tracks at the full waiting room of firefighters in front of him and Harry. He should've known that his squad would be there waiting for him, just as scared for Liam as Zayn is but he wasn't thinking and now he doesn't know what he's supposed to say. How is he going to tell these men that he's here to see Liam too when they don't know who Zayn is.

"What the fuck are you doing here?"

Zayn startles at the harsh voice coming from the left of him, his mouth falls open in shock as he sees Dylan and his father stepping out of what can only be Liam's room. He takes a step back but bumps in to Harry instead of going back into the elevator.

He didn't even stop and think about how Dylan and Jack were most definitely going to be there for Liam. Now he's here and he has no idea what he's supposed to say to them. They're both looking at him with glares and Zayn just really wants to go see Liam.

"I—"

"You can't be here," Dylan hisses out, running his hand through his hair as he goes to take a seat in the waiting room by a firefighter who's quick to wrap an arm around him.

Zayn nods his head but doesn't make a move to leave because that's not what he wants. He wants to be here for Liam and he gets to. He doesn't know how he's going to tell all of this to Dylan but maybe he can make up a lie about just being worried. Maybe he doesn't even have to tell Dylan about him and Liam.

"I just wanted to check on you, and how you're—"

Dylan cuts him off with a scoff before he's standing up and walking towards Zayn. He's glaring at him as he stops right in front of Zayn, who's nervously looking around at everyone who's staring at the two of them. "Right, you came for me?"

Zayn nods his head slowly because he doesn't know what else to say. He doesn't think now is a very good time to tell Dylan that he's been seeing his dad behind his back.

"Oh, so it's not because you've been fucking my dad?"

Zayn tenses when the words leave Dylan's mouth, he feels Harry grab his shoulder and squeeze tight and the way all of Liam's squad are gasping in shock. He can feel his heart beating in his chest and he doesn't know what to say right now because what the fuck???

When the hell did Dylan find out about Zayn and Liam?

Zayn opens his mouth to speak but he can't because all he can feel are eyes on him, tilts his head up to see all of Liam's squad staring at him and Dylan in shock. He's feeling nervous now, can feel that uneasy feeling in his chest and stomach as he stares straight at Dylan.