CHAPTER 36

NOTE: This chapter references chapter 24's text message chat between Traci, Vicky and David.

Vicky yawned as she sat down beside her mother in the waiting room. Jason and Gary were fast asleep on the bench, curled up and covered in hospital blankets. David had disappeared to get some food for all of them from the 24/7 supermarket right outside the building.

"It's almost five a.m." said Paula glancing at her watch.

"How long do you think it will be before Dad wakes up?" asked Vicky looking at her mother.

"It could be another twelve hours at least. They gave him some strong stuff." she said. "Don't worry Vicky. Your father will be fine. It's  just the bastard who did this to him that I---isn't that Jack?"

Sure enough a nicely suited and booted middle aged man walked into the cost effective hospital looking completely out of place. The entrance was too low for his height and he inadvertently banged his head on the wooden frame.

"Ouch." he said rubbing his forehead in a disoriented manner. He looked around feeling a little lost before he spotted Paula and Vicky. They waved at him as he approached.

Jack took one look at his sleeping kids and sighed. "This is the quietest I've ever seen them and I wish they didn't have to go through this."

"Yes, they were very upset when they saw Axky and Levi on a hospital bed. I didn't even know they were here, till an officer told me about two crying kids." said Paula looking sympathetically at the teary streaks on the children's cheeks. "Axky is still unconscious, but the doctors said it's expected that he will be awake in a few more hours."

"Oh. Why don't you take the kids and head home then." suggested Jack. "I'll stay here in case he wakes up. You can come visit then or later in the day."

"That sounds great, but don't you have to work tomorrow?" asked Paula.

"Nah, perks of owning the company." he shrugged.

Just then, David came bustling in, empty handed and fuming.

"There's no food! In a supermarket!" he announced. "I searched and searched. Ant-spray, pepper spray, liquid soap, solid soap, fake nails, hair colour, toothpaste, even fruit flavoured condoms, but for the love of all things good, there was NO FOOD! What an absolutely fu---who the hell are you?" He finished staring suspiciously at Jack.

"Your name isn't Gavin is it?" he asked pointing an accusatory finger at him.

Jacks scoffed. "That son of a bitch isn't hiding in here." he said dismissively. "I'm Jack Dixon. Vicky's family  happens to be someone's I care about."

"Jack Dixon, the Jack Dixon?" asked David glassy eyed. Vicky suppressed a laugh, David was clearly starstruck.

"Yes---" started Jack, flattered that David seemed to be so enamored by him.

"Do you have any idea how many terrible economic decisions your company has been taking throughout this year?" he deadpanned. Jack's mouth fell open, he clearly hadn't been expecting that.

"You have a bug in your trade report processor. I wrote an email to your office, but of course no one paid any heed to it, because I am just a high school goer. Now because of this little tiny, fixable bug I know you have reported significantly smaller profits. Now if only you would read your emails on time---" David ranted breathlessly before shutting up because Jack had put a hand over his mouth.

"How do you know about a bug in our trade processor?" asked Jack looking at him warily.

"I hacked in. I could only do it because you had a bug." said David shrugging his shoulders.