CHAPTER 35

"He's stable. We expect him to gain consciousness in another 24 hours." said the emergency doctor coming out of the ICU and was greeted with loud cheers from a bunch of kids and a grown woman.

"So he'll be okay?" asked Vicky hopefully.

"Yes, he's dehydrated and has a third degree burn on his back. There will be a permanent scar, but he is expected to make a full recovery in a couple of weeks." he said calmly.

"Thank God," said Paula slumping back to the chair and holding her head in her hands. Her heart was finally beating at a slower pace, the past few hours had gone by in a blur of worry and anticipation.

"How is Levi?" asked Vicky her voice deceptively unfaltering.

"You mean the young man who came with him?" asked the doctor. "He's doing fine. Got him hydrated and fixed up the many cuts and burns all over him. Nothing too serious, but the shock of the whole situation is not something he will recover from so quickly. He may be afraid of the smoky smell and the sight of fire."

Just then a petite nurse came out of the operation theater.

"Doctor, the young man inside has been insisting on meeting someone called Vicky. He says he won't agree to take his medicines if she doesn't talk to him." she said exasperatedly. "I tried to reason with him, but he's being stubborn."

"That sure sounds like him." snorted David from the back.

"We don't have a policy to allow visitors right now---" started the doctor but was cut short as another nurse came out looking harried.

"I tried to give him a tetanus shot and he well...sweet talked me into coming here to look for someone called Vicky." she said quickly looking around. "Said she's the love of his life and he really need to talk to her."

The twins tried to hold in their laughter as Vicky blushed tomato red. Paula looked around in amusement, eyes twinkling as she put two and two together. She wondered how long this little romance had been going on after all.

"Well he can talk to her tomorrow, after he's had his share of medicines and ---" started the doctor. Before he could finish his sentence, yet another nurse came to join them in the waiting room.

"I think the young man is getting delirious. The painkillers may have got to him, he keeps calling me Vicky and trying to flirt with me." said the brunette nurse.

Just then a male nurse came hurrying out of the ICU looking troubled. "The young man is refusing to take his medication. He keeps calling me Vicky and says I need to kiss him if I want him to take an injection. I'd kiss him, he's kinda cute, but my name's not Vicky."

"Oh for the love of God." groaned David at the back.

"I'm Vicky," said Vicky standing up shakily, blushing from head to toe. "Can I speak to him for a moment please?"

The Doctor looked at all the nurses and the squad of children eagerly waiting for his response and caved.

"Fine." he said as he was greeted with applause. "But make it quick. We can't delay his medication---"

But Vicky was nodding and already standing up. The nurses smiled at her.

"Come with us. He's right here."

***

The nurses kept trying to punch things into him. Watery stuff, cold stuff, sticky stuff.

They kept trying to patch him up. He wasn't broken damn it.

They said his left eyebrow was burnt off. And that he had a burn mark on the left side of his face.

It probably wouldn't fade.