||Chapter 36 - Ancestry||

Himoko's POV

I laid up against Sokka, a blanket over me as I listened to the story being told by a man- Telling us stories about the Air Nomads his grandfather once had a shot at meeting before the 100 year war. Aang was ecstatic when he learned about the Storyteller, finding it a great opportunity to teach not only me, but Sokka and Katara as well. I may have been raised by Air Nomads at first but in our time together and from what I could remember, it wasn't much. Aang grew up surrounded by our culture, and wanted to show me more of it everyday. He made it sort of his duty to teach me whatever he could remember and know about the Air Nomads, even when he really didn't have or need to. After all- I did learn things from Karlie when she would go to the old Air Temples or outposts, or if she was just travelling and came upon something.

"So travelers, the next time you think you hear a strange large bird talking, take a closer look, it might not be a giant parrot, but a flying man! A member of a secret group of air walkers who laugh at gravity and laugh at those bound to the earth by it!" I snickered, making a small cawing noise towards Aang in attempts to mimic a parrot. Aang giggled, mimicked the cawing noise back at me, this lasted for a few moments, as if we were actually having a conversation. Until- Sokka got tired of our cawing.

"Remind me to never get a bird..." He said while rubbing his eyes. "You already do Sok, The Air Nomad Birds." I let out a small 'caw' and he huffed, his face scrunching up. "Then please fly away."

"Rude." I commented.

"Aren't airbender stories the best?" Aang questioned the three of us, my nodding in agreement seemed to have made his smile become wider.

"Was it realistic? Was that how it was back then?" Katara questioned.

"I laugh at gravity all the time. Haha! Gravity." He laughed as the storyteller came around, holding out a hat towards us with some coins already in it.

"Jingle, jingle!" I went to sit up and grab the few coins I had in my trousers when Sokka stopped me, instead turning his own pockets inside out, no coins, just disappointment.

"Sorry." Sokka apologized to the storyteller who tsked, "Aww, cheapskates!" I pushed the blanket off of me, reaching my hand into my pocket and producing two coins, putting it into the hat, "Sorry about this idiot." Sokka's jaw dropped, looking quite offended.

"Apology accepted." He turned and walked off. Sokka grabbing the side of my face and making me look at him with a pout on his face.

"I believe this relationship is quite abusive on your end." I furrowed my brows, deeply sighing with a shake of my head, "Just stating the truth, Sok."

"And the truth hurts." Katara commented smartly from besides us, receiving a exasperated groan from the dark skinned boy.

"Hey thanks for the story!" I heard Aang thank the storyteller. The storyteller paying no mind to him as he thrusted the hat towards Aang, not even sparing a glance at him.

"Tell it to the cap, boy!" I frowned, 'That's rather harsh, I already paid him.' I went to stand up to give the story teller a piece of his own medicine, overprotectiveness for the boy who was like a brother to me chiming in, Sokka stopping me.

A copper piece falls out of the hat, Momo picking it up before placing it back into the hat, the storyteller taking this as a donation as he didn;t see the copper piece fall out. Patting Momo kindly on the head. "Aww, much obliged little bat thing!" He thanked Momo, the lemur going back up to his master's shoulder.

"It means a lot to hear Airbender stories. It must have been hundred years ago your great grandpa met them." Aang told the storyteller as I shifted to stand up, stretching from being in the same position for half an hour.