Chapter 16: G is for going home

On the ride home I was silent. Even though I was beyond happy to see Ana and sign again I still felt at odd with leaving my ward. My thoughts drifted to the wayward expressions of the glassy eyed rabids all lifeless in their beds. Perfect examples of morbid dolls silenced by heavy drugs. I shivered to think of them buried deep underneath the ground in the ward I had come to take charge of. I didn't know who would fill in for me but I doubted they would care as much as I did. Then I thought of Wren and my cheeks flushed as I shook my head wearily. Better not to think about the boy with jade eyes and black hair.
"Violet dear," started father, "I know you may not like me but, I ask you keep up apperances." He adjusted his glasses and pressed his foot firmly on the gas.
"Why bother father dear?" I mocked a little too sharply, "was it not you whom pushed me down a hole? And all for the betterment of my fellow man? You are no father of mine," I stated harshly as I stared out the window ignoring his expression of pain. It was so rare to ever see father display anything other than enthusiasm that I relished in the fact I caused him to feel bad.
"While that all of that is true your sister gets nosy and you to are close. I'm warning you for the sake of her safety. You want her to be my next expirement? To be forced to do what you do or worse?"
"No!" I said too hastily and father smirked a self satisfactory smile creeping across his face. How had I ever looked up to him? How could I ever pretend to be a loving daughter after all he had done? I couldn't but to protect Ana I would.
"Thought so Violet my dear now doane a happy face because your sisters on the front lawn. With that all the conversation ended and the car stopped in our drive way. Ana smiled and ran to the car greeting me with a very strong hug and started signing away very fast. My eye flitted to her hands and face and than back to her hands. It felt like a thousand years had passed since I used my hands to talk. Everything felt normal but then I looked at father and I felt the first pang of anger return. Ana must have noticed because she cocked her head.
"Don't mind your sister. Been rather dazed since starting her new work with me," father said and signed. When Ana looked at him I glared. It stung that his lie wasn't even riddled with half truth. I was a nurse or replacement doctor charged with a ward full of comatose drugged rabids. My dream had once to been working with father but that's been obliterated.
'Inside now all go', Ana signed a big smile on her face.
I took Ana's hand and went inside without sparing father a glance. If Ana noticed she didn't let on. Inside the house smelled good. Mother was up and about surprisingly happy and cheerful nothing like the bundle of nerves I had come to know. She smiled jovially at us as she placed a bowl of green beans onto the table. There was also black beans and homemade bread everything that was my favorite. And what was more surprising she smile at Ana and ushered everyone to the table.
"You've been gone awhile this time my dears," she said laddening down each plate with food. I didn't know what to be more surprised about mother's portion sizes or the fact that she was still smiling. It almost reminded me of before my accident. When we all had dinner together and there was nothing but warmth. However I felt distant.
"How long exactly?" I asked picking at a black bean clump. I shoved it in my mouth before I changed my mind.
"About a week or so. It was quite a whirlwind really," mother continued. Her eyes taking on a glassy palor.
"Hm," I said weakly shoving more food into my mouth. It tasted like dust and cotton balls but I didn't mind.
"Your father adjusted my medication after...the incident. I'm fine now really and I'm so sorry for what happened," she said a sad smile on her face. Father squeezes her shoulders and gives me a warning look. I keep my face as blank as possible. Ana looks to mother curiously. "I know I was never nice to Ana or you and I acted really irrationally. I caused you to have one of your spells and poor Ana was nearly traumatized." I stared at her blankly confusion and understanding setting in all at once. Father did this. Some how some way he is responsible. I glare at him not bothering to hide my hatred. He sips his water and continues eating normally. My anger spikes and I nearly jump from my seat with  all my pent of rage. I need to do something. I look to Ana who's watching this whole exchange with saddness and a heavy understanding. Ana knows too, I thought. And she can't talk. I slam my hand down on the table and stand straight up. I glare right at father not bothering to hide my anger anymore.
"You're a vile man and I hate being your daughter!" I seethed loudly before walking out of the kitchen and to the back door. I slammed it loudly and stormed into the grassy backyard. It's nothing but open land with browning grass and vegetation.