Brick

BAM!

Amber jolted out of her sleep to the sound of a loud bang and screaming. She stood up and ran to the door, pressing her ear to its cold metal. There was a thump and then more screaming. A loud bang hit the wall next to her and she stumbled back. 

"What the?" she looked down and her clothes were neatly folded on the ground. She quickly dressed still listening to the noise outside. 

"Get out of here!" someone yelled. The police! Amber ran back to the door and pounded her hands on the door. 

"Help me, I'm in here. Help me!" she screamed at the top of her lungs. She pounded on the door until her hands felt raw and her palms had their own pulse. The screams passed by the door and she heard the collective scuttling of shoes on the ground. 

"Help me please!" Amber shouted but was stopped short by a cough. The door opened. ripped from the wall and Amber fell out. She looked around and Dennis had a man in a poncho wrapped in his arms. Part of her wanted to stay but the other part was screaming at her to leave. The girls she saw earlier were running down a hallway and she followed. It was dark out or so she could make out from outside the dirty windows.

"This way!" one of the girls cried from up ahead. Amber raced to keep up but something was slowing her down. She was running but not as fast as the others. Her left leg stepped forward with strength and she lifted her right leg. Nothing. She paused and glanced down. Her right leg was coated in dried blood with a huge gash in her calf. She leaned against the wall, her breathing became tight gasps as if with each breath she was losing air. The room around her began to pulse with a black ring in her eyesight. Before she knew it she was sliding down the wall and trying to stay conscious, before her vision was overtaken. 

***

"Good morning." Amber woke up to blinding lights. She sat up and found herself in a foreign room. It was a light blue with small holes on the two side walls adjacent to the door. A woman with red hair and big brown eyes stared at her from the desk near the door. The woman smiled and Amber got up from the bed dressed in a blue gown. A bandage was wrapped around her right calf. 

"Who are you? Where am I?" she asked. The woman nodded her head and looked at her wearily.

"I'm Dr. Ellie Staple--"

"Where am I?" Amber asked. Dr. Staple paused and nodded again. Amber rubbed her pimpled arms. 

"You are in--"

"What happened to my leg?" Amber interrupted again. Dr. Staple pulled out the chair, at the desk, and sat down. Amber leaned against the far wall. 

"You were badly injured...some sort of animal. I believe the doctors said a dog?" Dr. Staple said. It was Amber's turn to nod her head. A dog. 

"But what am I doing in this room?" Amber asked and Dr. Staple chuckled. 

"You already know where you are believe it or not." With that Dr. Staple got up to leave. Amber watched her leave through the large metal doors. Just before it closed she saw three nurses in scrubs standing by a food cart staring into the room.  Amber sat down on the edge of the bed racking her brain. Minutes went by then hours. The only thing she noticed was when a nurse came in with a tray.

"Evening Ms. Amber," he said. He was a short man with dark hair and a cheeky grin. Amber finally looked up and when she locked eyes with him a cold chill ran down her spine. She walked over to the tray and lifted the top. It was a simple dinner for where she now deemed a mental institution. 

"Wow. Corn, meatloaf, and apple sauce."