A Night Owl

-Flashback-

"My jacket!" Amber cried in disbelief. Her new cream cashmere jacket was painted with a large coffee stain. The man in front of her looked in as much disbelief as her. 

"I am so- your jacket-- it's ruined, I- can I?" The guy motioned for it and Amber shrugged it off. 

"What do you of some sort of magic remedy to get this out?" she yelled. They were the only two in the store at the time. The man frowned inspecting it.

"No, but I know a friend named Barry. I can- will fix this for you," he said. Amber noticed how he looked. His black frames brought out his electric blue eyes in contrast to his dark low cut hair. 

"You better," she looked at her watch, "I'll be back here tomorrow at 9 am." The man finally looked up at her. His eyes lingered holding her gaze before quickly checking her out.

"Sure."

-End of Flashback-

A gentle breeze passed through the white curtains in Ambers room. Oddly enough, there was the slight smell of freshly baked bread. Amber moved slightly in her sleep relaxing into the curve of the body that was cuffed behind her. Ambers eyes flew open as she realized the heat in the bed was not coming from her body alone. She jumped out and flew against the wall.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to wake you," Dennis said. He was fully dressed in a button down shirt with black slacks and black socks. Ambers heart raced in her chest and she was fearful that he would be able to see it pulsing under her skin.

"Get out!" she said sternly. He stood erect in just one swift movement adjusting his glasses. He clasped his hands together in front of him, staring at her from the other side of the bed.

"Amber...please understand-."

"GET. OUT!" she said through clenched teeth. Her chest heaved and she felt slightly dizzy. He took a step around the bed and she slid away from him. He took another step and then darted for her. Amber hopped up on her bed screaming while trying not to fall as she was pushed back up by her mattress springs. Dennis ran back around and caught her before she could run out of the room. Amber held onto the threshold of the door, her nails digging into the paint. Dennis' arms were wrapped around her abdomen so tight she felt as though she was going to snap in half. He pulled her back and the paint chipped under her nails as they dragged against the wall. He closed the door with his leg and fell down on the bed.

"Stop it Amber," he said. Amber rocked her head back bashing it against his nose. He let her go and she grabbed her paper weight off of the dresser. Dennis groaned holding his bleeding nose. He was exasperated by the liquid dripping down onto his lips. He pulled out a napkin and wiped his nose quickly.

"I trusted you Dennis...you said that you were different, but somehow I see your face on the evening news," she said huskily.

"You don't understand," he said.

"You're damned right. I don't understand!" she shouted. The candle in the bathroom lit automatically. Dennis peered at it in amazement.

"Let me explain-ah-erm-No-No-No I can reason with-ah-ah-ah," he said and Amber looked around wildly. Who was he talking to?

"Dennis get the fuck out right now!" she said. Dennis raised his chin and looked down at her. He crossed his ankles and relaxed his shoulders just as a woman would.

"Thank you Hedwig," he said but it sounded like an older english woman. Amber looked from him to the window and then back to his dark eyes. He took off his glasses and tucked them in his pocket ever so slowly. 

"Dennis I swear...I'll call the cops," she whimpered. He stood and strode towards her with careful steps, hips swaying gently. Tears rolled down her cheeks as she watched him come close. He stopped a foot away and extended a hand out.

"Hand it over dear...we aren't going to hurt you." Amber dropped the paper weight out of pure shock. Dennis smiled and chuckled.

"My name is Patricia, I have the light now," Patricia said calmly. Amber shuttered at what was happening before her. In the living room her phone rung. Amber eyed the door and then how close Patricia was to her. Patricia noticed and frowned.

"Now, now, little Dove--" Amber darted out of the room her body slamming into the wall. She cried out trying get to her phone, which was vibrating on the table. Fingers brushed against her back in an attempt to grab her. Amber ran faster and snatched the phone off the table. Her body flew across the room and into the couch. She groaned out in pain holding her abdomen. She fell over onto the floor and crawled, when she was grabbed up by her forearm. She was flipped over, straddled, with her wrists clamped.

"Amber listen to me, I need you to calm down," Dennis said. Amber jerked back trying to pull her wrists free. There was no use. She admitted defeat and looked towards her window. Her body trembled under the weight of Dennis' body.

"Are you going to kill me too?" she said. Her lips quivered and she blinked back the tears that threatened to spill over. Dennis stared at the side of her face and the stray tear that streaked down her face. He fought the strong urge to wipe it away. 

"I'm not sure." Amber's eyes widened and she kneed Dennis in the groin. He toppled over and groaned out in pain. His face flinched a little and he looked her with innocent eyes. 

"What'd you do that for? That really hurt, etcetera," Dennis looked up but she could it wasn't really Dennis. Amber scrambled to her feet and fled through the front door. Her footsteps pounding down the stairwell funneled throughout. 

"Wait, darling...my name is Barry." Amber flew out of the apartment building and down the street to the only safe place she knew of. However, as she turned the corner she was pushed to the ground and all the air was knocked out of her lungs.