Chapter 22 - The Truth

You guys are so freaking fabulous! You have got me to 200 votes and 4k read, you all rule, thanks so much!

Chapter 22 - The Truth

Chase

"Steven's an alcoholic, Chase. Put the pieces together,"

"How did..." I hesitated.

"How did Sophie die?" She sighed and wrung her hands together, "He came home late, as usual. It should have been the normal routine: he comes in and sits in the lounge and watches football and that's it. Just that, that day, I got in his way... Sophie - my sister - tried to stop him, she really did. But then he got even more violent than usual. He ended up breaking his bottle and-"

"You don't need to finish, Jamie,"

"I don't need to, but I want to. I need to get this off my chest." I silently nodded and waited for her to continue, "He turned on me, started shouting because his beer was gone."

She stopped and shook her head, "Now that I think about it, it was such a stupid reason. I remember it all like it was yesterday - he advanced towards me. But before he could reach me, Sophie was in front of me. Protecting me. He was more angry than he already was. He... He ran at her... She didn't stand a chance... He left after that and never came about. I can still remember it all. Remember when I freaked out? I replayed it all then, not intentionally though. I always thought that if maybe I was better, if I was more careful, maybe Sophie would still be here. I can't help but think it was my fault," She sighed, "I feel so pathetic."

"You are not pathetic, you're amazing, beautiful and unbelievably brave," I looked at her through sympathetic eyes, "It's not your fault. You couldn't prevent any of it. So don't even for a second, dare to think it was your fault." I grabbed her hands and bent down to place my lips on them, "It's not your fault."

We sat in silence for a few minutes, then I finally spoke up, "Why haven't you turned him in?"

"H-He threatened to kill Harry. And me, but Harry is my top priority now," She admitted, "He wanted money, it's all he wanted. It's why he's back now. Mum went away and instead of working, she got into alcohol. He came back because he never got his money. I feel as if I should have worked. To help pay. I don't want him to get Harry." Tears started to fall from her eyes.

"He won't get Harry, or you. Because no matter what happens, I'll be there. I will protect both Harry and you, I won't let him hurt you." I promised.

The droplets from her eyes started to fall quicker, "I'm so lucky, so, so lucky to have you," She smiled and I smiled back too because I knew hers was genuine.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Jamie and I managed to make it to lunch without being shot and curious glances. I'm going to assume no one noticed us missing the other period. Which is rather lucky. I nearly thought we'd get through lunch without being harassed. But I was wrong.

"Looking even uglier today Jamie?" Chelsea placed a hand on her hip.

Jamie sighed and stayed staring at her macaroni and cheese, "What makes you say that?"

"You're covering yourself up," She flicked the top of her hoodie then smirked. She stood up on her table, put her fingers to her mouth and let out a shrill whistle.

"I want to make an announcement,"  She stood with a sense of authority and prowess, "Jamie here, is an attention whore,"

Murmurs spread out across the canteen. After a few daunting seconds, someone finally spoke up, "No she's not, how is she?"