Chapter 20

Chapter 20

Lillian arrived back at her grandmother’s estate later that afternoon. Once she was inside, she realized that William was waiting in the parlor.

“Hello William,” she said politely.

“Hey Lily, what did the doctor say,” her friend asked, concerned.

He was always one to get strait to the point, Lillian thought. “Well, he said that it’s just a stomach bug. He said that I will be fine and there isn’t reason to worry,” she lied.

William stood and walked closer to Lillian. When he got closer, he opened up his arms and wrapped them around her waist. “See, that wasn’t too hard, was it?”

With a guilty look that William could not see, she said, “Yes, you were right Willy.”

“Are you feeling well enough right now? I want to show you something.”

Lillian pulled out of the embrace and plastered on a smile. “Yes, show me the way.”

William smiled, took her hand, and led Lillian outside and into the backyard. He took her out to the tree where they always used to play under when they were children.

When they arrived there, William turned to face Lily, and went down to his knee. From the inside of his pant pocket, William pulled out a small box and held it out in front of him. Lillian gasped and covered her mouth when she realized what was happening.

William smiled and said, “Lillian Clark, I have loved you for a very long time; I have loved you since I knew you, which has been our whole lives. I love you for who you are, stubborn and passionate.

“Every day that I am with you, I fall even more in love with you. When you hurt, I hurt. When you are happy, I am on top of the world.

“I would like to ask you a very important question. Would you please make me the happiest man in the entire universe and become my wife?”

William looked up at Lillian while she digested this proposal. When she was silent, William continued. “We won’t be able to live as extravagantly as you have with Joseph, but I know that we can make it work. All we need is our love, and we can conquer anything that we need. Please, please become my wife Lillian.”

He said that he loves me because of who I am. Does that include my child, whose father raped his wife and never loved her, only love her money? Could he ever love this child?

William was staring at Lillian, waiting for an answer. Finally, Lillian took a deep breath and exhaled. “William, I love you very much. It’s just that I can’t marry you.” Lillian turned her head over her shoulder so she didn’t have to look at him.”

William stood and put his hand under her chin and forced her to look at him. “Why can’t you marry me, Lillian? Tell me. Is it because of the money?”

Lillian glared at Willy. “Why is it that you think it is because of the money all of the time? There are other reasons, reasons that I can’t discuss right now. That’s why I can’t marry you!”

“Is it because of Joseph? Has he threatened you with anything?”

No! I haven’t seen Joseph since the night he raped me. Can’t you understand that I cannot marry you for some other reasons?”

“Then please tell me! I deserve to know why you are rejecting me. I thought you love me Lillian. I thought we were going to be together for the rest of our lives. I thought that we were going to raise a family, with all of the children you could ever ask for!”

All of the children that I could ask for? Does he even know how ironic that statement is? I’ve wanted children my whole life, and when I just started to be happy, I get pregnant by a man who never loved me.

“Lillian, answer me this,” William said softly. “Do you love me like you say that you do?”

A tear ran down her face. “Yes.”

William wiped the tear away and grasped her hands. Kissing her fingers, he said, “Isn’t our love enough? We can survive anything, as long as we have our strong love.”

Lillian looked into William’s eyes. She was about to lose all of her resolve and give into William. Then, she remembered her child that was growing inside of her. Lillian could not subject her child to live with someone who could not love it. This child needed every ounce of love, and if William could not love it, then she could not love William.

“I’m sorry William. I can’t marry you,” she said solemnly before turning away from him again.

William turned and felt tears clouding his eyes. Quickly, he wiped them so Lily couldn’t see him cry. He thought that she loved her. He thought that they were going to love the other forever.

William wanted to scream. He wanted to take her into his arms and shake her until her stubborn mind realized that they belonged together. Mostly, he wanted to take comfort in Lillian. Unfortunately, he couldn’t do any of these things because he knew, deep down, that when Lillian made her  mind up, there wasn’t any way you could change it.

William let out a breath he didn’t know that he was holding. “If that is your wish, I will abide by it.”

“Thank you, William.”

“I’ll also come by tonight to take you to the Cheeky Monkey.”

“Thank you.”

“Goodbye Lillian,” he muttered before walking away.

Placing her hands on her stomach, Lillian rubbed her child while watching her love walk away.