Chapter 10

Chapter 10

The next day, Lillian was sitting in her bedroom while William’s sister, Kathleen, was talking to her about how flappers should act. Lillian listened intently because she knew that if she wanted to find out information about Jonathon Lexly, she would have to perform perfectly.

“Alright, now that you have all of the information it’s time to make you look like a flapper,” Kathleen said. “Are you ready for this?”

Lillian quickly shook her head and Kathleen laughed. “No I really don’t think so. I just don’t think I can get it cut.”

“Really? I love my haircut.” This was true. Kathleen cut her hair about a month earlier. She loved the freedom that came with being a flapper. It was so abstract from the way of life that a traditional woman would live. Kathleen just felt free. Of course, her mother, sister, and two brothers almost had a heart attack when she showed them her new look.

“I’m sorry Kathleen, I just can’t. My hair is one thing that reminds me of my mother.” Lillian came up with a theory: what if the only way she could prove that she was truly her mother’s daughter by her long hair. Growing up it was what made Lillian resemble her mother so.

“Alright; if you say so. I’m just going to put it into a low bun. Since you have a lot of hair, I’ll be able to make it look really nice. I can even add a feather in it to make it look better.”

“Okay, thank you.”

Instead of responding to Lillian, Kathleen immediately began doing Lillian’s hair. Lillian was relived her hair hadn’t been cut. Short hair just was never her thing. She always wore her hair long.

“Okay Lily, your hair’s done. Now let’s get you into a new dress,” Kathleen said before she got her dresses that she brought for Lillian. They were beautiful. There were dresses that were black, blue, red, yellow, and an ivory one. Lillian decided that she liked the ivory dress the best, so she chose that one. She then proceeded to change.

“Wow, you look different,” Kathleen said.

“How does it look? Do I look like I’m from another planet? I don’t know if the dress suits my tastes.”

Kathleen gave Lillian a look that said, are you kidding me? “This whole thing doesn’t suit your tastes. You’ve been brought up in a proper home. You even took etiquette lessons! Being a flapper is so different than the normal lifestyle for a woman. But you look beautiful.”

Lillian beamed. “Do I really?”

“Yes you do. Plus, I give you credit for trying this. William wouldn’t tell me why you needed this wardrobe change, but I was shocked when he asked me to help you. I’m sure he’d have a cow if Christine became a flapper.”

“Christine? Who’s she?”

“Didn’t William tell you about her?” When Kathleen saw the confused expression on Lillian’s face, she continued, “Christine is William’s fiancée. They’re supposed to get married in the summer.”

“Fiancée? He’s- he’s getting married?”

“Yes. I am actually really surprised that he didn’t tell you.”

“Yeah, that makes two of us,” Lillian said, sounding defeated.

Lillian remained in her bedroom after Kathleen left. William was supposed to be at the estate at any moment. Lillian knew that she should go downstairs to greet him in case he came over early, but after the news of William’s engagement was revealed, she just felt different.