Chapter 15

Chapter 15

Lillian awoke awhile later. It took her a moment to realize what happened. She was on the floor. There were arms wrapped around her, as if they could protect her from all harm. She took a double take and realized that it was William and he was sleeping.

She prodded his arms to wake him up. “William?” His eyes opened and he smiled at her. “What are you doing here?”

William took his arms away from Lillian and they both sat up. They were both leaning in the side of Lillian’s bed. His leg was also slightly touching hers.

“I came over to apologize for the other night. I was a little drunk and I may have over-reacted. I also came to give you your ring back.”

Lillian gave her friend a small smile. “I really don’t think I’ll be needing that anytime soon.”

“I know. I saw the papers. Lily, I am so sorry.”

“Don’t be, it wasn’t your fault. Remember, I wasn’t very happy with the marriage anyway.”

William took her hand and held it tight. “You were upset when I came over. You were sobbing and were pretty much incoherent, but I was able to make out something about Joseph hurting you. Is that true Lillian?”

Lillian looked down, suddenly ashamed of herself. “Yes,” she whispered.

William took his other hand and with one finger, he pulled her head back up. “Tell me what happened. I need to know.”

Lillian took a deep breath and relayed the story to William. He was silent the whole time she was talking, but she could see the anger building up inside of him.

“Do you remember anything about the rape,” he finally asked.

“Nothing. I woke up in bed without any clothes one and I saw the bruises as I was getting on my robe.”

Suddenly, William started to stand. “I’m gonna kill that sonnaofa-“

“NO,” Lillian shouted. She was grasping his arm as if her life depended on it. “Please don’t do that William. Please,” she begged.

“But he-”

“I know what he did to me. He beat up his wife and he raped her while she was unconscious. But, I’m begging you to not do anything. Please promise that, for me?”

William gave an angry sigh. “Alright,” he said. He then opened his arms and embraced her. Her head rested on his chest. “But please get checked out by a doctor.” Lillian nodded.

“Thank you, Willy.”

Suddenly William’s arms weren’t around Lillian anymore. He was holding Lillian’s shoulders to make her look at him. “I would do anything for you, Lillian. You need to start realizing that,” he started in a stern voice. Lillian just looked utterly baffled as he continued, “I have loved you for a very long time. It killed me today when I saw you on the floor, sobbing. It was like your pain was becoming my pain. I had to take away the pain from you somehow, which is why my arms were around you while we were sleeping.”

Lillian just stared at him. Tears were beginning to form in her eyes.

“When you were with that mobster at the speakeasy, I was going to lose what control I had if he touched you.” William gave a small smile. “I actually guess I did sorta lose it. But needless to say, I have loved you since we were kids. I’d do anything to help or protect you.”

Lillian nodded. “I know Willy, I know. And I love you too.”

William’s face seemed to light up just from those words. He cupped her chin and kissed her. It was a passionate kiss. Both kissed as if to make up for lost time. Both kissed just because they both knew that they had time. William’s tongue was in her mouth.

Nothing could tear these two apart.

Lillian heard a door creak. She wasn’t really paying attention, and she thought it came from down the hall. But no matter what her worries were, the only things she was paying attention to was William and his lips.

So naturally, that meant she didn’t see William’s fiancée standing in the threshold of Lillian’s bedroom. Lillian and William only noticed her when she shouted, “What the hell is going on in here?”