Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Lillian was found sitting in her parlor about a week after she found the picture with Jonathon Lexly’s name on it when William walked in to meet her.

“Good morning Lily,” he said and she stood.

“Hello William, how are you this morning?”

“I’m pretty good. So d’ya remember that fella that I said was a private investigator? Well I talked to him that next day and he already got back to me.”

“Did he really? That was fast.”

“Hey, this guy’s good at what he does.”

Lillian grinned at her friend, and then asked, “What did this person find.”

“Well, he traced Jonathon’s bank accounts and found that there’s a considerably high amount of money that has been spent lately, like within the past two years.”

“Did he find out where?”

William nodded, just to add to the suspense. “O’Leary’s.”

Lillian looked a little confused. “Alright, I’ve only been out of town for two years. Two years ago O’Leary’s closed down because of the prohibition.”

“Ah, that’s the thing Lily. O’Leary’s is a liquor shop. Robbie O’Leary won’t close down even after he dies if he can help it.”

“Are you saying what I thing you are?”

“O’Leary’s is still open, just not to the public. The liquor is being still being sold for the right price off of the record.”

Lillian considered this for a moment. So if Jonathon Lexly was her late mother’s lover, what was he doing buying liquor? What was it being used for?

“A speakeasy, Lily. That’s what the liquor is being used for. It’s either that or he’s just getting really, really drunk alone. With the amount of liquor that was bought here, I’m leaning toward the club.”

“Do you know where it is?”

“My guy, Lucas, he’s trying to find out. He’s supposed to let me know that and how to get in.”

“Can’t you just walk in?”

William burst out laughing. When he saw Lillian’s confused face, he stopped. “I’m sorry Lily. I forgot that you’ve been the perfect wife for the past two years.”

“Hey!” Lillian’s face and voice were now filled with major indignation. “Just because I’ve made something of me by being married for two years doesn’t mean that I’m ignorant of life!”

“Oh, no that’s not what I meant at all. I meant that because you’ve been married you haven’t seen anything out of the ordinary.”

“Do you care to elaborate?”

“My pleasure. First, you have woken up with the same guy for two years. You have a routine. He has a good paying job that requires attending social events. That means that you have to attend because it’ll make him look better.”

“Yes, that part is true.”

“The party scene that you’ve been attending is completely different from a speakeasy. Mainly, not just anyone can go in. They need a password basically. It just prevents the police from breaking up the party.”

“Oh.”

Suddenly Lillian’s world spun just for a moment. She gripped William’s arm for balance. He reached out to catch her. When she was steadied, William slowly lowered her to sit down.

“Did you end up going to see a doc like I asked you to?”

“Yes,” she lied. “He said it was just stress related and that it’ll pass.”

“Are you sure that’s what it is.”

“Yes William, I am positive. I will be just fine.”

William and Lillian were talking more about Jonathon Lexly when someone ran into the parlor. It was Lucas.

“I know where it’s at!” he announced proudly.

“The speakeasy?”

“Yes!”

“Okay, spill then Lucas.”

Lucas then told William and Lillian where the club was located. Lucas also told them about the password that was needed to get into the club.

“Thank you so much Lucas,” William said when Lucas was getting ready to leave the manor.

“It wasn’t a problem. Since the Depression started I really haven’t had much business. I needed something to occupy my time.” Lucas took one step, and then turned to Lillian. “If you’re going to be involved with this whole thing I suggest you wear something else.”

“I’ll tell her what to wear,” William interjected. He didn’t want any extra attention on Lillian. If Christine somehow saw Lucas and he told her that Lillian was involved with this whole thing. If nothing else he wanted to keep another world war from breaking out because Christine was jealous of Lillian. That would not be good. At all.

After Lucas left, Lillian looked at William. “What did he mean that I had to wear something else?”

“Do you remember two years ago when women started wearing different dresses, shorter hair, and smoked in public?”

“Yes, I do.”

“It’s that sort of thing. Two years ago everyone thought that it was a phase. No one ever thought that it would stick around past that summer. Now these women are being called ‘flappers.’ You, my dear, are going to have to look like one, at least for the time being.”

“What?!”

“You heard me. You’re going to be a flapper.”

“But, but I promised that I wouldn’t become one. Two years ago I promised!”

“And who did you promise that to Lillian? Was it Joseph? Let me tell you something. Dressing like this doesn’t change who you really are. You look different on the outside, but on the inside it stays the same. The qualities that make you who you are will be there still. If Mr. Perfect really loves you, not just your money, then he’ll be fine with you dressing like that.”

Lillian looked down at her hands. She was silent for a moment. She then looked into William’s eyes. “I know.”

“Okay, my sister knows how to get you dressed in the flapper garb. I’ll tell her to come over tomorrow afternoon, if that’s okay with you.”

“Alright.”

“I have to be on my way. Have a good rest of the day Lily,” he said before he stood up once more.

“Same with you,” she said before William nodded his head to walk out of the door. “Thank you.”

“You’re welcome Lily. By the way, I can’t wait to see you with short hair.”

And then he was gone.

Lillian could feel her face pale.

Short hair? Maybe this wasn’t such a great idea after all…