Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Summer of 1920, New York

Lillian looked in the mirror that was in her bedroom. She was wearing an extravagant white gown, which made a very big contrast to her black hair that was held up in a bun.

“Lily, you look beautiful,” Grandmother said. Funny, Lillian thought. I didn’t hear her come in.

“Thank you Grandmother,” Lillian said politely.

“Are you excited? Today is the big day! As of about two o’clock this afternoon you will no longer be Lillian Elizabeth Jones, but Mrs. Joseph Clark!”

“I am excited,” Lillian said, and she meant it.

Lillian viewed this marriage as another challenge. Marriage was something that was foreign to her, and she wanted to find out what was great about it. Sure, she knew that you could have a loving and beautiful family, or you could have a loveless life. Lillian wanted to know which life she’d be getting with Joseph Clark.

Truly, Lillian has come to love Joseph. Lillian just didn’t love him like her mother loved her father. Unlike what William has said to her in the past, this marriage isn’t just about money.

“Oh, dear we had better be going out to the gardens! You don’t want to be late to your own wedding, do you?”

“Of course not, Grandmother,” Lillian said solemnly as she put her veil over her head and walked out of her room where she slept in for so long.

The ceremony took place in the gardens that were located on Grandmother’s estate. There were flowers everywhere; lilies, roses, and even daisies. There were about one hundred people sitting in the chairs where the ceremony was to take place. Everyone stood when they noticed the bride was coming.

Here goes nothing, Lillian thought as she began to walk down the aisle toward her new husband and new life.

The wedding of Lillian and Joseph was beautiful. Some cried some laughed, and others scowled; others, meaning William. Technically he wasn’t invited to his former best friend’s wedding, but he felt that he should at least congratulate her. Why him, William asked himself. It doesn’t matter, she won’t ever talk to me again just because of how I’ve been acting. As long as she’s happy then I will support her.

Lillian saw a blond figure standing away from everyone else in the reception. Willy, she thought before she snuck away from Joseph and to her friend.

“Hello Lily,” William said when Lillian came closer.

“Hi William,” she said just as quiet, but she noticed that his face looked a little bruised. “Willy, what on earth happened to you?”

“Awe, it was nothing really, my face just fell into someone else’s fist.”

“William, I am being serious. What happened?”

“You know Rose?” William asked, referring to his younger sister. “Well, she’s your age now and she’s got a lot of suitors coming for her. This one guy, he was just a real piece of work. He was talking about Rose like she was a prize to be won, and not a potential wife. He had the guts to say things like that in front of Charlie and me!”

“Did Charlie get that upset?”

“No, of course he didn’t. He’s the older brother. He’s the perfect one in the family. He was mad, sure, but I was the one to take the first swing. Charlie was there to try to hold me back, but it didn’t work out too well.”

“Oh, William, does everything have to have violence with you?”

“Lily, there’s violence when something that I don’t believe in happens to someone I care about!”

Like Father, Lillian silently thought. “There could’ve have been other and better ways to handle things like that!”

“Look, I don’t want to fight with you. I’m just here to congratulate you on your wedding. I even brought out my Sunday suit.”

Lillian giggled. She knew that William hates wearing that suit. He only wears it to church and special occasions. “Thank you, Willy.”

“You’re welcome, Lily. I suppose this is goodbye?”

“I suppose it is. Good luck with your life William. I hope you find someone to marry that you love.”

As she walked away, she heard William say, “Don’t worry Lillian, you will always be my Lily.”