Chapter XVII

I stared at the figure in front of me. She wore a beautiful gown. The overskirt and flowing quarter-sleeves seemed to be made of spun gold, the silken fabric gleaming softly in the light. The square neckline dipped low but not overly so, the lightness of the cream-colored brocade of the bodice providing an interesting contrast against her slightly tanned skin. The underskirts of the gown consisted of the same brocade, the edges of the fabric trimmed in beige lace and pearls.

I examined her face. Her hair, a dark ebony, was spun into an elaborate twist. Soft ringlets of curls cascaded down her forehead, brushing tenderly against her skin. Her red mouth was pressed into a thin line, her pink-tinged cheeks taut with stress. Her rich brown eyes were filled with worry.

"You look beautiful," Abbie said gently.

I shook my head, the woman in the gilded mirror copying the movement, and tore my gaze away from her.

"Thanks," I whispered shakily.

She gently placed a tiara on top of my head and the weight felt extraordinary. I could think of nothing to say to her, my mind completely void.

My sister was running away to marry a monster, after all. The same one who killed Celine. The same one who killed Noah.

I was there when my sister announced her engagement with Stephen. He seemed aggravated for some reason, but he proceeded to explain why they made such a sound match. My parents were thrilled. To them, Stephen was a more than suitable match, after all, being the prince of a large and powerful kingdom, second in strength only to one.

Vittoris. I'm sure that killed Stephen. I hoped it would.

"You will have to leave soon," she said softly. She paused, hesitated, and then asked, "Will you be alright?"

"Of course," I said, trying to keep my voice even.

"Of course," she repeated, her eyes narrowing. She obviously didn't believe me. I cleared my throat to say something, but before I could, she said, "It is not a crime to be upset, you know."

"You are right," I said, just so I would not have to speak anymore. I could not blame her high spirits; she was oblivious to what was really happening, what had already happened. She did not know what Stephen was capable of doing or what he had already done. She smiled again, nodding her head in content. She then glanced at the clock, her smile fading into a disapproving frown.

"You are going to be late!" She hurriedly put things away in their place and rushed over to the door, flinging it open. "Oh, the prince will be angry with you! Come, I'll lead you to the ballroom."

I followed her out the door and trailed a few feet behind as we walked through the hall turning corner after corner. My soft shoes made no sound against the cool marble of the floor. Abbie walked quickly with short steps, her head held high. She always looked like she had a purpose, and she usually did. I was amazed at how she knew exactly where everything was. I had been living at the castle for what seemed like a lifetime and could hardly find my own room. Abbie seemed to have a map of the place handy in her mind. If you asked her where something was she would be able to give you detailed directions no matter where the starting point.

She turned around another corner and I quickly sped up so that I would not lose her.

Looking out the windows, I could see that it was getting dark. Servants scurried up and down the corridors, hastily lighting the burgundy candles in the silver candelabras that lined the stone walls. The frowns of the figures in the portraits seemed to get deeper in the eerie shadows that began to grow, their dark eyes becoming more and more scrutinizing. A sudden bolt of fear went through me and I sped up again, almost running right into Abbie.