Chapter XIV

My parents and sister arrived in a whirlwind of fuss and insults.

"You!" my mother shrieked at a guard that was standing by the door. Startled, he jumped, nervously clutching the spear in his hands tighter.

There was nothing more frightening than my mother giving orders.

"Do not just stand there, you imbeciles! Take my bags!"

The guard she was yelling at and the guard standing on the other side of the door glanced at the prince, unsure of what to do. I looked at him as well, grimacing at the sight of my 'family' and subtly moving to stand behind him.

"Go ahead and take her bags," the prince said to the guard, giving my mother a strange look. Her cool green eyes zoned in on the guard at the guard as she snapped at him to be quicker about it.

"Well, Fredrick, I never imagined I would see you in my kingdom," he said dryly. He glanced over at Alexandra, who was giggling and blushing to herself. When she noticed him looking at her, she batted her eyelashes at him flirtatiously, and he grimaced.

I gave her the dirtiest look I could muster before looking away innocently.

Ignoring him, my father regarded the black and white marble tiles of the entrance hall coolly, his lips set in a deep scowl as his eyes scanned the hall. He looked at the guards with a hint of disdain, scanning the faces of everybody in the hall. Finally, his gaze landed on us, noticing that the prince's arm remained encircled around my body.

His eyebrows shot up and I fought the urge to smirk.

"Prince Michael," he finally said, his words icy, "I hope my… daughter"—he barely bit out the word—"has not been causing too much trouble for you."

"Not at all," he answered smoothly. I almost choked on my breath from that comment, remembering how it had taken Abbie and me almost three days to clean the mess that was my room.

"Amanda? No trouble?" Alexandra put a hand to her throat in mock surprise. "Well! Isn't that a shock?"

"Oh, shut up," I muttered.

"Quiet, Amanda!" my father snapped. I shut my mouth, but continued to look at Alexandra angrily. "Well, I must say! Though you don't seem to be giving the prince any trouble, your manners have not improved!" He gave me a disapproving look. "You know better! This isn't how we raised you!"

"Frankly," I said dryly, my anger flaring, "I do not believe that you raised me at all."

"What kind of talk is that?" my father demanded.

"But—"

"Hold your tongue!"

"Fredrick." I looked at the prince to see that his arms were now tightly pinned to his sides, his hands balled into angry fists. "That is quite enough."

"She needs to know her place."

"She does know her place." He frowned. "You will address my Compeer with respect. You do not walk into my kingdom and begin to criticize my company."

"I—"

"Perhaps you should see if your rooms are to your liking," the prince said dismissively, cutting him off. He looked at a servant boy, who was standing by the stairs nervously. "Please show them their rooms." Wide-eyed, the boy bowed at nodded. "They are located in the east wing, three hallways to the left, ten doors down."

My father gave me a stern look before gently taking my mother's arm. "Come, Elena."

My mother picked up the skirts of her burgundy dress as she followed the servant boy. I could hear her insulting him and telling him to stand straighter as they made their way up the grand staircase. With every step they took, I winced, knowing very well that I had angered them. When they finally got to the top, Alexandra paused at the railing while my parents continued on.