Chapter XII

Dead.

I collapsed into a chair, clutching my bracelet with my other hand. "He's… he's dead? How?"

Prince Michael sighed and sat back down. He pulled his chair closer to the desk, resting his forearms on the glossy surface and leaning forward.

"After I marked you"—his eyes strayed to my neck—"I received word from the Supreme Council that Stephen was up to something again, and I left quickly. I know how he gets, and when he stirs up trouble, it is usually of the devastating sort. I did not have time to explain. I just told Evanon I had to go, and he accepted it.

"When I arrived in Satania, I saw that the place was in complete and utter chaos. I had not been there in a while, and I certainly did not remember such squalor that the lower class lived in. The Supreme Council was right, and so was I; Stephen was up to something, and it was not good. Apparently, he raised the taxes threefold on the humans in his kingdom, and they were living in filth.

"I met with him upon the request of the Supreme Council. Father was busy here, so as the future heir to his seat, I took up the responsibility. He merely laughed at me, telling me to mind my own business. He said he would run his kingdom how he see fit, and the Supreme Council did not concern him anymore.

"He also… congratulated me"—he scowled at this—"for finding my Compeer. He then told me that word had spread that I was searching for someone I your behalf, and he knew who that person was.

"Apparently, he had been sent to Satania to work, and had found himself managing the stables at the castle. Stephen said he killed him. He did not secure a saddle tight enough."

"When?" I asked, my voice shaking. "How long has he been…" I couldn't bring myself to say the word again.

"I did not inquire further," he responded, running a hand through his hair. "I came back here as soon as possible. I already met with the Supreme Council earlier today… they are to decide what to do."

"Oh." The word came out as a squeak.

"I am… nervous, to say the least," he admitted, his voice soft. Nervous? Him?

"W-Why?"

"Now that he knows that I have found you, I do not know what he will try." He sat back in his chair. "He has had his eye on you for so long…"

"What?" I snapped suddenly. He gave me a hard look.

"I know I have given you a lot of information already, but I know you wanted answers. Can you handle any more?"

"Yes," I responded. There would be time to grieve for Noah later. Now, there were so many gaps that I needed to have filled.

"I do know your father. You were right. When I came to your kingdom to retrieve you, it was not the first time we had met. In fact, the first time I had met him was nineteen years ago, just before you were born.

"I had been searching for my Compeer centuries before then, and was thoroughly convinced I would never find her. It was not so bad when Celine was here, but…" he trailed off, pain evident in his eyes. "When she was killed, I renewed my efforts.

"I went to a Wiseman who told me you were human. I did not believe him at first, but he told me that you had not yet been born, and that you would be the second princess of Lumaria. I was desperate, and though I thought he was insane, I went there anyway.

"The queen was with child. You. I did not know if you really were my Compeer then, but your parents and I had made a deal. I promised to have my troops protect their kingdom as long as they protected you, and though I held true to my word, they did not keep theirs.