Chapter VI

The air buzzed with tension as the staring contest commenced. We both looked at each other, unblinking and silent, for what seemed like ages, willing the other to break. Though I had experienced my share of such contests in the past, it seemed that he had the upper hand by means of practice. His blue gaze was, at the moment, absolutely impenetrable, but I did not give up. Finally, after what seemed like ages, he cracked.

"You are being completely absurd," he insisted, frowning at me.

"Why are you here?" I asked, standing up. "This is my room, you know."

"And this is my castle." He shook his head at me. "You have made a horrible impression on Violetta."

"I did not!" I exclaimed, even more annoyed at him. "I didn't even say that much to her!" I'm glad he didn't know of our earlier encounter.

"She was offended by your silence!"

"That doesn't even make any remote sense!" I scoffed. "Well, I'm sorry I offended your precious Violetta," I said bitterly, sitting down again. "Why can't she be your Compeer?"

"She certainly would fill the shoes of a Compeer better than you do!"

"I never chose this!" I said. "Do you think I want to be your Compeer?"

"You do not even listen to me!" he argued.

"Why should I?" My voice rose in volume. "Go back to Violetta! I'm sure she'd love to have you back!"

"Keep her out of this," he hissed. "This conversation is between you and I, and no others. Do not think I have so quickly forgotten what was said in the garden."

"I wasn't expecting you to," I shot back. "I do not—" My words were cut off by a cough, and I flinched as my throat burned. Abbie had made me drink that disgusting medicine and it didn't even do anything!

"Are you ill?" the prince asked, his voice suddenly serious.

"No."

"Liar!"

In a heartbeat he was in front of me, suddenly pressing his hand against my forehead. It was surprisingly cool and felt nice against my burning skin.

"You have a fever," he stated, frowning.

"Do not," I mumbled. "And stop changing the subject!"

"Where is that servant girl of yours?" He took his hand away and looked around the room.

"She has a name, you know," I sighed. "And you told her to leave. Remember?"

He cursed under his breath, marched to the door, and threw it open. The wood hit the wall with a loud bang. I grimaced at the sound.

"You!" the prince barked, probably at a servant that was passing by in the hall. "Yes, you! Where is—"He stopped, poked his head back in the room, and looked at me. "What is her name?"

"Abbie," I said.

He turned back to the person in the hall. "Where is Abbie?" I heard the servant's shaky voice respond, and the prince snapped, "That is no excuse! Are you still here? Well, go find her! Immediately!"

"Yes, Your Highness!" the servant squeaked nervously. Prince Michael closed the door, agitation written on his face.

"Why do you have to be so... aggressive, all the time?" I asked dryly.

"I am a vampire," he murmured.

"That's the worst excuse I've ever heard."

"Stop talking!" he seethed, suddenly furious. I snapped my mouth shut and cringed away from his livid expression.