Chapter VIII

"Very good, Your Highness," Lady Louise said approvingly, nodding her head. "And the Hales?"

"The Hales are…" I searched my mind for the answer, fighting the urge to slouch over and rest my elbows on the table. Lady Louise had been throwing names at me for the past few days, and now expected me to regurgitate everything she had taught me. "The Hales are a family of lower nobility. Lord James' Compeer and wife is named Georgia, and their only son, Raymond, is Compeered to Lady Patricia Forrest, and have yet to marry."

"Splendid!" Lady Louise smiled. "Well, Your Highness. You seemed to have grasped everything so well!"

"Thank you," I said, discreetly pulling down the sleeve of my dress to hide the writing on my wrist.

"I believe that is enough for today," she said. "Perhaps tomorrow we may begin on nobility within other kingdoms."

"Other… kingdoms?" I asked. There was more to learn?

"Of course. You must learn and know our allies!"

"Ok," I said, fighting off the headache that I knew was coming. "Yeah, we'll do that tomorrow."

"What did I tell you about slang?" She said the word with something akin to disgust.

"I mean, yes," I said, correcting myself. She gave me a nod.

"Very good. I expect you on time tomorrow. No more tardiness, do you understand?"

"Yes," I responded, returning her curtsy with a small one of my own. Picking up my skirts, I turned and hurried out of the sitting room.

The Charmaines were hosting a party in celebration of their newly remodeled mansion, and naturally, the prince and I were expected to attend. I nearly sprinted up the large staircase, hoping to get to my room quickly so that Abbie had time to do my hair. The prince didn't tolerate lateness—especially if it was to another's event.

"Right on time," Abbie said when I walked into the room. I gave her a relieved look and let out a breath.

"Wow," I said, exhaling. "I never realized how many stairs there were!"

"Ah, so you did run," she responded with a laugh. She held out a dress to me, and I took it, slightly confused.

"Red?" I asked, running my hand across the silky material. She nodded.

"Violetta Charmaine is fond of red." Then, with a wink, she said, "Might as well beat her at her own game, hmm?"

"Thanks, Abbie!" I said, giggling as I went behind the screen and quickly changed. When I walked back out, I asked, "But I thought black was customary?"

"It is the most appropriate thing to wear, I suppose"—she laced up the back—"but I'm sure the prince will allow red for tonight."

"It's beautiful," I said, looking in the mirror. Thankfully, it was not the screaming red that Violetta usually wore, and was more of a rich burgundy. It was trimmed in darker lace that matched the pattern of the brocade underskirt. Instead of the square neckline that I was usually dressed in, this one had more of a heart-shaped one. Looking down, I scrunched my nose and pulled it up. Abbie laughed at my expression.

"I'm glad someone can still preserve her modesty while wearing red."

"It sure as hell isn't Violetta," I muttered, sitting down in front of the mirror. I heard her snort.

"You got that right," she said, as she slowly began to curl my hair. She took each tendril and pinned it up, working her way around my head.

"How are we with time?" I asked, lazily dangling my leg over the arm of the chair. I took care not to wrinkle the dress.