11

Continuation of Chapter 10 :))

There's gonna be a lot of Pony's POV in the next few chapters, so get ready for that! I'll have more of Johnny's a little bit later, but enjoy the Pony for now!

Againnnnn, legit stole this idea from my v beautiful gorgeous friend, angel_writez so give her some love please!

The beginning is angsty because I'm e d g y

Enjoy!!

Ponyboy's POV

I stepped out of the house, and set off down the street. The cold air bit at my heels as I walked, but I kept on. I slung my bag over my shoulder, and gripped tightly onto the strap.

It's been about 2 months since Johnny went into surgery. They've been giving us little updates since then. They didn't think he was gonna make it for a while, and before that, they were positive he was gonna be alright. I haven't heard from them in a week, which is really getting under my skin.

Johnny's my other half, and if he doesn't make it.. well, I don't know... The past 2 months have kinda been really hard on me. I don't really talk to anyone at school, unless I have to. My grades dropped from As and Bs to Cs and Ds.

It just.. hurts. It hurts. And there's no other way for me to describe that to you. It just feels empty, without him here. But I know that if he doesn't make it, it's how he wanted to go.

But he'll make it. He's gotta. The last update said he was doing okay, so it's on the up. I'm sure.

I sighed, taking the first few steps into school.

Maybe he'll get back today.

—————————————————————————

I swung my locker shut weakly. I didn't have the energy to be upset, anymore. I shrugged on my backpack, and watched my shoes as I walked out through the school exit. It was only lunch time, but ever since Johnny's been hurt, the teachers have told me to take off time as I need it.

I let my thoughts wander, as I walked down the street. Me and Johnny playing football in the summer. Running around the park, fields, and just messing around. Watching sunsets, and then the stars that came afterwards for hours. And we talked. We would talk and talk and talk. We talked about what we wanted in the future. Where we would live.

I had to remind myself he's in the hospital. And we might not be able to do those things when he's out. I was lyin' to myself again.

I lie to myself all the time, but I never believe me. Guess I did, that time.

—————————————————————————

When I got back home, everyone was there. Even Steve, Two, and Dally. Not Johnny, though.

That's kinda weird. Don't some of them have school? I know Soda and Darry come home for lunch, but no one else usually does.

They all looked at me when I walked in.

"Hey, Pone," Soda said, piping up first. "We got an update from the hospital, today."

Oh golly. Everyone's here, AND there's an update? This has gotta be bad..

"H-how's he doing?" I stammered out, desperate for reassurance.

"Why don't ya see for yourself?" Soda said, motioning towards the kitchen, where I could see a weak boy with dark skin, dark hair and black eyes leaning against the kitchen counter.

"Johnny!" I tried to yell, but all that came out was a whispered. I raced over and hugged him as tight as I could.

"Careful, Ponyboy, he's fragile," Darry added, but I could hear the smile in his voice.

"Hey there, Pony.." Johnny whispered, with his arms wrapped around me.

I tried to hold back tears, but they were there anyway. Flowing down my face, like I'd never cried before.

"I thought I lost you.." I whispered, gasping through my tears.

"Can't get rid of me.." he joked, giggling a little.

We separated after a little while, but I kept my arm around him. I wasn't ready to let go, and I don't think he was strong enough to stand on his own.

Johnny reached up and wiped the tears from my face, and I grinned like a complete idiot.

Maybe I should start believing myself more often.