Chapter Eleven - Desperate Measures

Chapter Eleven – Desperate Measures

“Soon everyone around the world will have 'The Game' for free.” the reporter on the TV said before Nate closed it.

Mae was sitting on a chair left side of his bed while Claire was holding his hand on his right.

“You have to get in Nate.” Mae told Nate “As much as I hate it. That's the only way you'll live.”

Nate sighed.

The machines used to get in 'The Game' froze your body, that meant you didn't age, you didn't get hungry, you don't need to use the toilet.. It was really the only way Nate could live without the fear of the vein bleeding again.

“Please Nate.” Claire begged.

Nate sighed again, giving up “Fine.”

Mae quickly hugged her, and Claire seemed relived.

“Jessica told me how it was in there.” Mae smiled “She says it isn't bad. And I am sure Rose would.. Okay, I'm not.” Mae sighed.

“How is Jess?” Nate asked.

“She's fine.” Mae answered “She didn't really want to see you, you know... After.”

Nate nodded and sighed.

“After what?” Claire jumped in, looking at Nate.

“Nevermind...” Nate answered quickly.

Mae looked down, tried to avoid Claire's eyes. She thought Nate should tell it, and, he didn't seem to want that.

Claire sighed and walked out the room.

Nate looked at Mae “Is Derek still in the-”

“Yes.” she answered coldy.

“What?” Nate asked, feeling accused.

“Claire should know.” Mae answered, coldly. “If you won't tell her, I will.”

“Fine... I will! Just shut up about it!” Nate burst at his sister.

Mae rolled her eyes and got up from her chair “I'll go check...” she sighed “Claire.” she walked out.

When she got out she saw Claire by the vending machines, hitting the machine. Mae sighed and walked next to her.

“It didn't give me my fucking crackers!” Claire yelled when she said the 'Fucking Crackers' and hit the machine again.

Mae reached in the socket and pulled out the cracker that already fell and handed it to Claire.

“Oh, thanks.” she smiled sadly. Mae nodded. “What happened to Nate and Jess?”

Mae looked down, took a deep breath “Um... You should ask Nate, really.”

Claire sighed and nodded. “Fine... I will.”

Mae smiled reassuringly and hugged her.

Claire hugged her back and started to shake, Mae noticed she was crying. She kissed Claire cheek and wiped her eyes and whispered “Don't cry.. Shh..” to that Claire smiled sadly and nodded. She let go of Mae and told her that she would check in with Nate.

Mae nodded and watched Claire go to Nate's room. When she entered Mae started to walk outside the hospital, she wanted to go home, sleep, take a shower. But first she had to do something else.

She called in a cab and got in “Under Century Headquarters please.” she told the driver.

Driver nodded and started to drive.