Chapter Ten - After The Rain

Chapter Ten – After The Rain

The smell of the earth after a rain was Derek's favorite. At the evening of his twenty-ninth day Derek sat at his porch and watched the lake while the sun was setting. Derek took the smell in and smiled. He was amazed by how they managed to make the smell so realistic. But of course now, everything seemed real to him.

He sighed and thought about the real world. It had only been twenty-nine hours out there. He wondered if they were ever going to rescue him. Or, maybe, they would join him.

Even though he saw himself as a hostage he felt like 'The Game' was not really a bad thing. He felt like it was helping him. The people out there were helping him.

Leyla, was helping him.

Leyla was kind, possibly the kindest person he ever met. She was cute, smart...

A soft cough got him back to reality.

“Am I... Disturbing you?” the soft voice of Leyla came from his side and he turned to look at her.

Derek smiled, “Oh, no. Please..” he nodded at the seat next to him.

Leyla smiled sweetly and sat where he showed. “I just wanted to say 'Hi.' and, um... Ask you something?”

“Um.. Sure.” Derek raised an eyebrow in curiosity, and looked in her eyes.

She looked in his eyes too, just for a bit, but then she looked down. Blushing slightly she opened her mouth to talk but then paused.

Derek waited for her question, watching her, he smiled. For some reason, he felt like he was a lot older then her for a second. Well, he was. She was just a computer program. She was just, a few months old, if she was created since the game was open.

She bit her lower lip and opened her mouth again, this time to speak “Can I move in with you?”

Derek slightly narrowed his eyes as he started to think.

'What is there to think? JUST SAY YES!' one side of him said.

'She is just a computer! Maybe they are just controlling your mind to li-' he didn't listen to his other side and answered.

“Sure!” as he did Leyla hugged him after letting out a tiny squeal.

“Thank you!” she laughed “I didn't know who else to ask!”

“Did something happen at your house?” Derek asked.

“Well, my family doesn't want me work to Under Century anymore. They, um,” she paused, her smile fading “At the lag, my brother was one of the group who caused the lag.”

“I'm so, sorry!” he hugged her again “Why haven't you told me?”

“I just, didn't think... You needed to know.” she shrugged.

Derek nodded. 'She's right, It's not like you are his boyfriend or anything...'

“So, um... Do you need help with your stuff?” Derek asked.

“No no... I'll handle it. I don't have much anyway. And, I already packed.” Leyla answered, smiling again. Her eyes shined when she smiled, he looked at them. He nodded again and smiled reassuringly.

Leyla was looking down at his lips. At his smile, maybe. “You have a beautiful smile.” he said, slightly blushing.

She also blushed and looked up. When their eyes met she quickly tried to change her gaze. “Tha-” She couldn't finish her sentence as Derek's lips suddenly met hers. Even though it was a peck she was shocked. She opened her eyes wide, and looked at him.