Chapter Seven - Settings

• Dedicated to Işık Kaya

Chapter Seven – Settings

Psst.. Jess.” Mae whispered to Jess who was sleeping in the sleeping bag she brought to sleep in at the haunted house. Mae poked her until she let out a silent moan and opened her eyes. They were at the ground floor living room of the house, everyone was asleep. Well, everyone except Mae and Jess now.

What?” Jess whispered back. She looked at Mae, her voice was tired.

Mae looked around the living room. Everything in it was covered with dust and spiderwebs. Tanner was sleeping on the couch as Ella forgot her sleeping bag and he gave her his. Ella was next to him by the couch. Mae and Jess were at the far corner. The big grandfather clock by the fireplace stopped working a long time ago. It showed '03:21'. According to the legend, that is when the girl visits.

Mae checked her phones clock. '02:56, not much left...' she thought.

It's almost time.” Mae continued to whisper. She could hardly keep her eyes open as she couldn't sleep with all the dust. It made her throat dry.

Oh, okay.” Jess sat up “So what's the plan?”

Mae shrugged, and told Jess the plan she had, meanwhile Jess' smile got wider and wider.

Jessica looked around at her new house, it was just like the one in her dreams. She loved it. Smiling wide, she started to like 'The Game'.

Open Settings. she thought as a huge set of details appeared in front of her eyes, she just wanted to check the game time.

11: 23 am it showed. It's been almost 24 hours since she logged in. How long was she supposed to test? The guy greeted her said he would inform her when to log out.

Buying the house was easy. Apparently the machine they were in read brain waves or whatever and creates the house you design. It also adds all the stuff you want.. But of course gives each of them a price. But that didn't apply for the testers as, everything was free to them.

The house was like a palace. It had three floors, each had five bathrooms, two living rooms, a kitchen, two bedrooms.

There was also a basement floor which had a movie room, designed like a theater, a bowling alley too.

First floor had the biggest kitchen and it had one of those elevators that help move the food up and down and an indoor pool.

Second floor, had a huge room just to store drinks.

Third floor had a balcony that had a wonderful view of the city and the huge botanic garden back of the house, a telescope, a really good one, to gaze the stars at night.

The garden also had a pool at the size of a tennis court, but shaped more like a bean, a hot tub right next to it and a tennis court.

The house looked very modern from the outside and the inside with the wide and long windows and the furnishing. The wooden frames around the windows looked great with the beige walls.

Jessica wondered how much all of this would cost when you pay for it. How much do you start with? What are the jobs? Why do you need jobs? Of course the guy who came to greet her, she forgot his name, told her all of it but still. She found working needless.

Close settings. The settings disappeared, and she was back at her living room.

“Good afternoon ma’am, what would you like for lunch?” a sweet female voice came from behind her, Jessica turned around and looked at her. Her eyes opened in shock and fear as she saw a young girl, maybe fifteen, in a maids uniform.