10. The first night

Zuko POV

I can't believe he got away with my prisoner!!! How could I have been so stupid?? The girl is making me soft! To think I actually believed the keys were behind me! Gahhhh I'm so stupid!!!!!! At least they didn't rescue her..
The stupid voice in my head kept whispering over and over in my head.

I don't know what to do! I need to talk to aunt wu again. If I turn the ship around and head back to makapu will the avatar be able to find us? I mean he has a giant flying beast! I guess it's a risk I'll have to take, the worst case scenario is that I'll have more time with katara. That's definitely not a bad thing...

"Helmsman ready the ship and return to dock at makapu village!" I yelled, " aye aye sir!"
After the ship set sail i got enough food for two and headed to my quarters. I unlocked the door opened it slowly, my eyes glanced around until I saw her sitting on my meditation bench. I walked in and quietly shut the door behind me and locked it, she seemed to be deep in thought. Did she even notice me come in?

I walked over to my desk and sat the food down and sat on the floor behind her facing the other direction. I listened intently waiting for her to attack me, but no sound came. I exhaled and relaxed my shoulders, trying to make her think I let my guard down. I waited but still nothing happened, did she fall asleep?

I heard the wooden bench creek as she stood up, here is comes, the attack.. I heard her tiny footsteps walk up behind me, and then they stopped. "Thank you." I heard her whisper, thank you? Where did that come from? I turned around and her eyes met mine, "for what?" I asked.

"For not hurting me, and for letting me stay in here instead of the prison. Although I have no idea why you are being so kind, I mean don't you hate me? After all I'm the 'filthy water tribe peasant' right?" She said the last part with a touch of sarcasm and rudeness.
I looked away, "I'm sorry for calling you that, but the way I was raised... I'm supposed to think that way. Father told me any one other that royalty were filthy peasants. He drilled that into my head. I know it's not true but when I get mad I say things I don't mean."

She stared at me, after a moment of hesitation she spoke. "So you don't think that's what I am? Then what do you think of me?" I gasped and looked at my feet, what do I say? I can't tell her I love her... "I think your um, clean? Your and strong and proud... you have courage when you stand up for others and I admire that." I sound like an idiot... clean?!?!? Come on Zuko you can do better than that!! Why is she just staring at me?

I jumped to my feet and pointed at the table, "there's food, you should eat it." What is wrong with me? I'm acting like her buffoon of a brother. She looked at me with an unreadable expression but her eyes were shining, she cleared her throat and walked over to the table and sat down next to where I was standing. I stood there awkwardly, as she prepared to eat, she set out the food and utensils neatly. I just watched her not knowing whether to sit down and eat or to storm out of the room. She looked up at me, "you know zuko, I'm sorry 'prince zuko', there's food here so you should eat it.!" She mocked me. I growled at her, but I sat down.

"It's zuko." She looked at me, "what?"  I looked at my food, "my name is zuko, just zuko. No need for you to add the 'prince' ok? At least, not when it's just us and uncle." She stared at me in shock, "don't you love being prince zuko? Future Heir to the throne?" I could tell she was mocking me again so I glared at her before I shook my head, "I mean I want my father to accept me sure, but I don't care if I take the throne. I always liked how people in the fire nation bowed to me, worshipped the title, and the treatment that came along with it. It felt like they actually cared, but now I know what they really thought. How they really felt when they bowed before us, the felt fear, regret, sadness, and disappointment, I see that now. I still want to go back home and get that treatment again but not because of fear. I want to be treated with dignity and joy."