Chapter 28: The Pledge

Diana found the necessary materials and packed them in a picnic basket. Together, they walked out of the manor and crossed a field to a patch of lavender. They gathered a bunch of flowers before spreading a blanket under a nearby tree. Diana threaded a needle and gave it to Akko along with a spool of thread. She threaded a needle for herself. "Take one lavender and push the needle through the center of the stem. Stack the next one on top so that it forms a chain." She stacked lavenders one after the other.

Akko grabbed a handful of flowers. "Ok, how long should it be?"

"About 8 inches."

In a few minutes, they made lavender strings of desired length. Diana sat to Akko's right and floated the book between them with a spell. She activated her orb to record the ritual. "Are you ready?"

"Yes."

She waved her wand over the lavender strings. "Eg Veiti. I, Diana, heir to the House of Cavendish and Baroness Wedinburgh, hereby pledge my love and loyalty to Atsuko..."

"S-say that again?"

She cleared her throat. Maybe, her voice was too soft and Akko didn't hear. "I hereby pledge my love and loyalty..."

"Sorry... I meant, before that."

"That I'm heir to the House of Cavendish and Baroness Wedinburgh?"

"You're a Baroness?" Akko's eyes were wide with surprise.

"Not yet. When I claim the title, I'll be styled Baroness Wedinburgh."

"I'm sorry. I didn't know."

Diana cancelled the spell and looked at her worriedly. She remembered the time when Akko accused her of being an aristocrat. Did she have something against nobility? "Does it bother you?"

"No... I was just surprised, that's all. Are you royalty?"

She forgot that Akko wasn't that familiar with noble families. She might as well tell her now. "No. A Baron is one of the lowest ranks of aristocracy. I don't have as much influence compared to the Duke of Bevonshire who is one of my relatives."

Akko's eyes grew even wider. "You're related to a Duke?"

"Yes. I'm still Diana, just as Amanda is still Amanda."

"Amanda is an aristocrat too?"

"Centuries ago, her ancestors were once kings of Ireland. The clan lost their hold on the throne, but they're still very influential. Amanda isn't in the direct line, but her side of the clan is quite prominent." She held her hands. "Once again, if this bothers you, we don't have to do this."

"Sorry... I'm just like... wow... it's like a movie. Do you end up going to fancy parties a lot?"

She sighed. "More than I care for. I get invitations because of my status. Remember the Coven?"

"Oh yeah."

Was it her imagination, or did Akko seem suddenly reluctant? Diana swallowed nervously. This argument was a bit underhanded. "If you're with me, you have to come too. The cakes are very good."

Akko perked up. "Really?"

"Just as good as milk puffs. I'll do all the talking. You don't have to worry about dealing with people."

"That would be great!"

She hoped that it was enough assuage whatever worried her. "So... umm... do you still want to continue?"

"Ah, yes! I'm sorry that I interrupted."

Diana recast the spell. "I, Diana, heir to the House of Cavendish and Baroness Wedinburgh, hereby pledge my love and loyalty to Atsuko Kagari."