Chapter 18: The Guardian of the Wood

At the Investigations Office, Diana reviewed the cases with her team. With the identification of a deformed dragon, some glyph fragments match parts of dragon based spells. By the time she left, it was past three. Diana sighed. She missed lunch with Akko again. Unlike work for Luna Nova, this was something she couldn't easily cancel since she was family head.

Upon arriving at the manor, she went to the underground archives to look for dragon related lore. With an armful of ancient tomes, Akko found her in front of Beatrix's statue. "Welcome home! What's all that?"

"Books on dragons. How was your day?"

"I studied more dwarven lore then I went to Amanda's for flying practice. She made a new course for me to try."

At Amanda's manor? Did her sorcerer stone even reach that far? Diana was sure that it didn't. They probably ran through a lot of crystals since flying without a sorcerer stone used up a lot of magic.

Akko faced Beatrix's statue. "Hey, isn't this Beatrix of the Nine Old Witches?"

"Yes. You've seen it before."

"But not during the day. It was kind of dark."

With the sun filtering from the lake, everything was bathed in a gentle light with ripples reflected from the lake's surface. It wasn't too long ago that she was here with Akko during the succession ritual.

"This brings back memories. You taught me a Word."

They looked at each other and recited, "Sybilladura Lelladybura."

Suddenly, the floor lit with green light, tracing a pattern of three interlocking hands. The green light surrounded them. When it faded, ancient tomes fell on the floor.

-----

"Bea?"

Diana heard a woman's voice and her vision was blurry. The scent of grass surrounded her.

"You're not her. Arae Aryrha!"

Her vision filled with bright light and her body felt like it was stretching. She lost consciousness. When she came to, she found herself in a pen. By the glowing light around the wood, the pen was enchanted. She tried to stand but fell clumsily. It was then that she noticed that her hands and legs have been replaced by hooves. A quick look in a pail of water confirmed her fears. She was a pony with a white coat and mint blonde mane. She searched for her wand in vain. Desperate, she tried to recite the spell, but only a neigh came from her throat.

Green light flashed for a moment, casting shadows. Diana turned and saw a portal in front of a carved stone statue. A woman with long mint blonde hair stepped out. Diana's jaw dropped at the sight.

"By the stars, Bea! Put some clothes on! I have visitors," came a woman's voice above her. Diana looked up. With Claiomh Solais at her waist, the woman lying on a wide branch could only be Heather Woodward of the Nine Olde Witches.

"Good morning, Heather. I thought you'd be happy to see me, so I dressed appropriately." Beatrix Cavendish strode confidently in the nude. She faced the pen. "All animals are your visitors. Hmmm... This one is a bit different. What an unusual mane!" Beatrix reached towards the pen and Diana put her head against the wooden slats in hopes of being saved.

"Don't touch!" said Heather, pointing Claiomh Solais at Beatrix.

"It's just a pony."

"Don't. Touch."

"Why are you so grumpy today?"

"Put some clothes on or I'll make you."

"Oh, all right." With a swish of her wand, a light brown robe and a green skirt hid her nakedness. She floated and stood on the branch near Heather's feet. "Oh my... this is a nice view."