Chapter 1: An Invitation

The warm summer sun shone brightly over Luna Nova Academy where the halls echoed with girlish chatter as students crowded the corridors, shouted across the courtyard to dear friends or simply sat on the grass without a care from disapproving teachers. If a teacher were to come by, it was to wish them farewell and to have a pleasant summer. With exams over and summer vacation to look forward to, students took their time packing and saying goodbye to friends with broad smiles on their faces. But there was one among their midst whose gloom matched a bleak, cloudy day.

"Akko is sad. Is it going to rain cats and dogs?" said Sucy offhandedly as she lovingly placed her cockatrice feather in a hardcover case.

"School's over! There's no sorceror stone at home, so I can't do magic." Akko carelessly tossed underwear in her suitcase. "I don't want to go home yet!"

Lotte yanked on the strap of her overstuffed luggage, stretching it enough to catch on the clasp. "You have my orb, so feel free to talk to me."

"Thanks, but it's not the same. You can just use a ley line to visit friends. I can't do that. I've always wanted to go to summer fairs and eat fried dough, but we can't because I'll be in Japan."

"Is there a ley line in Japan?" asked Lotte while folding her winter cloak.

"Nope. I checked." Akko threw herself across her bed. "Ah! I wish I could stay longer!"

"Then, would you like to stay with me?" asked Diana who stood in the doorway in her travelling clothes and holding her broom.

Akko immediately kicked the lid of her suitcase, hiding its contents. "D-Diana! You didn't knock!"

"The door was open."

"Why are you here?" Akko stood up, spreading her arms out in a futile effort to hide her messy bed.

"I came to say goodbye, but if you'd rather stay, then I'm inviting you to stay with me."

Akko's jaw dropped and it took a few moments to regain her composure. "But why?"

"You said you wanted to do more magic. My house has a large library of magic tomes and places to practice."

"Pinch me."

"I beg your pardon?"

Sucy reached over and pinched Akko's arm.

"Ow..." Akko rubbed her arm. "I'm not dreaming, am I?"

"Allow me to remind you that my house has its own sorceror's stone."

"Yes! Yes! I'll go!" Akko bowed low and cleared her throat. "I'll be in your care! Just give me an hour, no, half an hour to pack."

"No need to rush. I can come back tomorrow. You should also let your parents know." Diana turned away from the door.

"Of course!"

"Why not leave tomorrow?" asked Sucy.

"I have matters to attend to." Diana lowered her voice. "Akko..."

Akko leaned closer. "Huh?"

"The pink Alcor pattern looks cute," whispered Diana while Akko immediately blushed.

"She's got more cute things here!" grinned Amanda who had just walked up behind Diana. She was assigned to do the last batch of laundry as punishment for trying to sneak out during exams. She flipped the lid of a laundry basket where a portion of clothing with a Shiny Chariot pattern was drapped over the side. Diana began to turn towards her.

Akko's wand flashed. "Metamorphie Faciesse!"

The spell hit the laundry basket and its contents exploded into the hallway. Each piece of clothing morphed into a kitten or puppy which landed on nearby students who screamed in surprise or fear. Soon, chaos ensued as Akko, Sucy, Lotte and Amanda tried to catch the transformed clothing which ran under furniture, jumped out the window or climbed over shelves.

Diana watched them for a few moments, smiled and walked away. "It's going to be an interesting summer."

-----

They arrived at the Cavendish manor by mid-morning. At the front door, the butler took the heaviest luggage from Akko's broom, causing Akko to float up.

"Ah!" Akko struggled to push the broom down but her efforts caused other luggage to tilt sideways and she clung to the broom upside down.

Diana quickly reached out and grasped the handle of Akko's broom. With a twist, the broom, along with Akko, flipped around. However, she wasn't seated properly, so her body continued slipping sideways and she fell off, landing on her butt.

"Ow..."

"Sorry," said Diana who extended her left arm.

"No, it's my fault. I lost my balance." Akko stood up and dusted herself.

The head housekeeper, Anna, stepped forward and gestured towards Diana. "Dear guest, if Miss offers her arm, it's rude not to accept it."

"Eh? What arm?" Akko's eyes darted to the crooked arm before her. She touched Diana's forearm with a bewildered look on her face.

Anna adjusted Akko's hand over Diana's arm. "My apologies, Miss. She ignored you before. I couldn't stand that she did so again."

"I appreciate your concern, but I don't think Akko meant to ignore me. She may not know our traditions."

"I see. With your permission, I'd like to be more direct so that she may understand."

"As you see fit," nodded Diana. She turned to Akko. "Shall we?"

"Er... ok."

Diana escorted Akko into the manor while Anna put their brooms away. Behind them, the butler carried Akko's luggage. They walked up the stairs and entered a room next to Diana's. The butler set Akko's luggage near a dresser and left.

"This is your room. Mine is just next door." Diana opened a dresser. "You may put your clothes in here and these cabinets. Some of my old clothes are in here, so feel free to wear them. If you need anything, just ask any servant. I'll come by before lunch."

"Where are you going?"

"I have a few things I need to take care of, so make yourself at home."

"Ok."

Instead of unpacking immediately, Akko explored the room first. The dresser was half full of clothes, most of which were shirts and pants with a few skirts. There were a lot of glass paned cabinets that contained various items. The ornately carved doors were locked, so Akko assumed that the items were magical artifacts. The bed, with its pastel covers and simple wood frame, seemed out of place style-wise compared to the cabinets, table and desk. The wood of the dresser and cabinets had a lighter stain as well.

There were several bookcases, some with books so old that the spines were almost falling apart and the titles, most in Luna script, were faded. Akko tried to pull one out and disturbed a layer of dust over them, causing her to sneeze. She put it back.

Akko sat on the bed and tested it. The Luna Nova beds were rather stiff and lumpy. This one felt similar to what she had at home. Satisfied, Akko opened her suitcase to unpack.

-----

To be continued in:  A Strange Potion

-----

References:

Diana offering her arm: she does this in Ep 19. Unfortunately, Akko either doesn't notice or doesn't understand her intent.

  Unfortunately, Akko either doesn't notice or doesn't understand her intent