Chapter Thirty: Traveling Through This Ghost Route

Beautiful cover by lverlaine ♥ One of my favorite songs is to the side and it definitely inspired this chapter among many more :)

Chapter Thirty: Traveling Through This Ghost Route 

“Anya, honey. It’s time to get up.”

I groaned and pulled the sheets over my head. Mom’s heavy sigh reached my ears and the next second she was yanking the covers from my hands. My eyes slowly fluttered open, heavy with sleep.

“Liam’s already waiting outside.”

His name was like cold water dumped all over my body, jolting me awake. I scrambled out of bed and headed to the bathroom only to let a small whimper escape from my lips. My hair was a frizzy mess looking like a lion’s mane that was beyond salvaging in only a couple of minutes. I brushed my teeth and washed my face quickly, while I heard Mom gathering my suitcase and taking it downstairs. Since there was no time to straighten my hair I pulled it back into a side braid and rushed out the room, shimming out of my pj’s and throwing on an old t-shirt and yoga pants.

My eyes roamed around the room, trying to think of anything else that I might have forgotten. It was then that I remembered to pack my toothbrush, brush, and make up into my bag where my medicine was, which was also something that I needed to take before I left. I went into the bathroom with my bag slung over my shoulder and dumped my toiletries inside. Once that was done I filled a cup full of water and swallowed down the pills.

A car horn outside hurried my movements out the door and down the stairs. The front door was wide open to a dark world outside where Mom, Dad, and Liam stood around a silver car. The frigid air licked at my skin and I shivered, wishing that I had had the sensibility to have brought a light jacket with me.

Liam was at the rear of the car, loading our luggage when he muttered, “Looks like she packed her entire room.”

Dad chuckled, shaking his head and shrugging. “You should see them when we take weekend trips. It looks like we’re going away for a month instead of a few days by all that they bring.” 

“Women.”

Mom rolled her eyes and brought me in for a hug. “You ready?” she asked. It was a simple question. It would have been if I was a normal girl, but I wasn’t. Those two words held more weight than anything else at the moment.

I nodded and sunk into her embrace. Even in the early dawn she smelled like rich cocoa butter and lavender.

“My turn?”

We turned, my eyes falling to Dad’s open arms. I drew away from Mom and went to Dad. “You sure you got everything you need, Bug?”

I smiled. “Yes. Pretty sure I’ve packed everything.” He chuckled, his breath coated with caffeine. It was just like Dad to have his cup of coffee every morning when he woke up no matter what time it was.

The engine roared to life and I broke away from Dad’s arms. Liam was settled into the driver’s seat, rubbing his hands together; the friction warming them from the coldness of the steering wheel. I opened the car door and settled in, dropping my bag by my feet.

“Call us when you get to Montgomery and whenever you can, alright?”

“I will. I love you.”

He smiled and leaned in to kiss my cheek as I did his. “Be safe. God is always with you, remember that.”

I smiled. “I know.”

“Take care,” Mom said as I shut the door. Dad slung and arm over her shoulder. She waved with a wide grin that was contagious as it was warm. “Both of you have a safe trip!”