Chapter Six: Cautious Heart

Chapter Six-Cautious Heart

“Wrooks wrike the writtle Anya bug has an admirer,” Hayden teased with his Scooby-Doo imitation. A sucky imitation, if I may add. “That’s so cute,” he continued, pinching my cheeks.

I slapped his hand away. “Stop being annoying! You’re not five.”

“Aww,” he ruffled my hair playfully like if I was a puppy. “It’s not my fault you’re in denial.”

“Gemma!” I called. She was in the kitchen refilling our snack bowl and drinks. I prayed that her hearing aid was on so she could hear my holler. “I’m going to beat your boyfriend up if he doesn’t stop being an ass!”

“I’m simply stating the facts,” he said defiantly. “Should I refresh your memory?”

“I don’t really-”

“Shh, Anya,” he said interrupting me. His eyes were deadly serious as he held out a finger and began to count out his points. “One: He gave you a ride home when he saw you. He didn’t need to do that. But he did it of his own accord. Two: He’s been watching you for the past few weeks. Why is he suddenly interested in you?” He asked with raised brows. I shrugged and he smirked – indulging in the moment that he was right. Ugh he was such a jerk! “Three: He was watching you play for-who-knows-how-long except God,” he said, his voice rising as he went on.

I rolled my eyes at his theatrics. Hayden was like the big brother I never wished for, but apparently received one Christmas morning. “He was probably there for a solid ten minutes! Then when you stopped he wanted more…Why? Oh!” Hayden exclaimed, remembering to add more to his list of reason. “He was being persistent about the whole Karla fiasco and he forgot her jacket, didn’t he? Doesn’t this all mean something to you?”

“I don’t know,” I said burying my head in my hands. “Leave me alone. You’re giving me a headache.”

“Hayden, leave her alone,” Gemma said coming into the den. Her voice was fragmented, her syllables not pronounced correctly as a “normal” person’s. She was much more open to talk when it was only the two of us instead of where there were people who would laugh at her expense because she was different. After years of knowing her I understood what she’d said. Even Hayden comprehended Gem’s warning by the wounded look on his face.

“But, babe-”

“No buts honey.”

A wickedly sly smile spread on my lips. So she had heard everything. Thank God! She’d take my side for sure. “She needs time to come to terms with this “new” Liam,” she said using air quotes. “In time she’ll be swept of her feet.”

“Ugh,” my smile was quickly wiped of my face, replaced by a scowl. I grabbed a pillow from the futon and buried my head into its softness. “Not you too!” My words were muffled, but I knew that they had heard because of Hayden’s low chuckle.

I felt Gemma sit in between me and Hayden on the old futon that wheezed under her weight. She shook my shoulder mercilessly until I looked up and met her soft pleading eyes. “We’re just kidding,” she said, tucking a stray curl from my face. “But in all seriousness – there has been a slight change in his behavior. Maybe, he found you alluring since you stood up to him on the first day of school. Guys like that sort of thing, right?” She looked at Hayden and he shrugged, a smile tugging on his lips.

“Well, I don’t want anything to do with him. Have you forgotten what Karla said?”

“No, but you shouldn’t let that blond crone tell you what to do. Since when have you let someone stop you?”