Chapter Fifteen: Into The Dark We Go

Listen to the song on the side ♥ It's amazing and beautifully complements this chapter ♥

Chapter Fifteen: Into The Dark We Go

Anya

“Where are we going?” I asked, following him aimlessly toward an open field where patches of dandelions grew. He didn’t answer, and continued to stride forward through the grassy plain; lost in his own thoughts.

I sighed and thoughtfully leaned down and plucked a dandelion from its place, bringing it to my nose as the seeds caressed my skin like the breeze that ran through my hair.

When I was a kid I used to make wishes on the weed whenever I found one growing nearby, which was rare. It was something that I just did. None of my wishes ever came true, at least not to my knowledge. But that didn’t stop me from making them whenever I saw a lonely dandelion growing on the ground. It gave me hope that one day my wishes would come true, but in the meanwhile, I would blow softly on the weed, letting its seeds fly in the air until they landed on the soft ground; growing into more than just the one that had been there at first.

I twirled the flower between my thumb and index finger pensively as I looked up at the sliver of moon that hung above the treetops. What to wish for, I thought.

I withdrew my gaze down at eye level to see that Liam was several feet ahead of me. I skipped through the field, careful to not step on a patch of dandelions, and caught up to his even and strong gait. We were practically through the pasture, and heading toward the dense forest where the mountains laid.

There was a determined look on his face when I tugged on the hem of his shirt to stop him. I felt the strong set of muscles graze my fingertips, causing me to instantly drop my hand like his skin had burned mine. He paused, raising a strong brow as he looked at me with feigned amusement.

I put my hands to my hips, hoping that he did not see the blood pooling in my cheeks as I demanded, “Are you going to hack me to pieces?” Liam crossed his arms over his chest, and raised both his eyebrows. A sly smirk crept onto his lips that made my heart drum inside my chest. I wanted to just scream at my stupid heart and demand what was wrong with it. I couldn’t very well do that. Not with Liam standing in front of me looking as if I was the most entertaining thing in the world –like a monkey tap dancing and reciting the ABC’s at the same time.

Instead I defiantly said, trying to hide the beating of my pathetic heart, “If so you could have done it at the park. It was pretty isolated there.”

He chucked, darkly (if I may add). “Ah. But you see, Anya.” He leaned forward, his eyes sparkling dangerously with mischief. We were practically standing nose to nose, his breath cool on my skin when he said, “Someone would have heard you scream. No one would hear you scream here.”

I eyed him warily – not letting my eyes waver from his. If I looked away it would be a sign of defeat. He sighed, racking a hand through his dark blond hair, and looking skyward.

Score! Point one for Anya. Check.

“Would I give you my diabolical plan if I planned on killing you?”

I thought for a second. “Well, it wouldn’t matter anyway, because I’d be dead.”

He rolled his eyes, grasping my hand in his. “Come on. I want to show you something.”

I sighed in resignation. His hand was warm against my clammy cold one, sending my heart into another silent frenzy. I was suddenly very self-conscience as he led me towards the dark woods. The sound of twigs snapping beneath our feet made me look around every so often, thinking about all the horror movies I’ve seen where the couple gets slaughtered walking through the woods at night.