SIXTEEN

Athena watched the large television screen from the safety of the couch in Tony's lavish mansion. Ares had just left and was back at home. Pepper, along with Tony and Rhodey, were in Washington D.C. Tony had managed to convince Fury to give him a small favour which led to the situation at hand.

"It is my honour to be here today to present these distinguished awards to Lieutenant Colonel James Rhodes and Mr Tony Stark, who is, of course, a national treasure." Athena smirked to herself as she heard the reluctant voice of Senator Stern announce the awards on live national television. She held back a chuckle as Stern pinned the medal onto Rhodey's jacket. "Thank you Lieutenant Colonel, for such and exceptionally distinguished performance. You deserve this."

"Thank you sir." Rhodey replied respectfully and politely. Athena expected nothing else.

"Mr Stark. Thank you for such as exceptionally distinguished performance. You deserve this." Athena felt bad when snorted at the look of pain when Stern pins the medal on Tony's jacket. Stern was a dick. "Oh, sorry. Funny how annoying a little prick can be, isn't it? Let's get a photo."

Athena's phone ran just as the three posed for a picture. She looked away from the screen and down to the significantly smaller one in her hand. Vaguely recognising the number that was flashing across the screen, she frowned before answering the phone. "Hello?"

"Athena, it's Phil Coulson."

Athena raised an eyebrow but smiled regardless, despite knowing that Phil couldn't see it. "Long time no see. How's New Mexico?"

"You're about to find it." Phil informed her and she smiled in amusement. "You're needed down here. I believe this is in your field of expertise."

"And what would that be exactly?" Athena asked teasingly.

"The unknown." Phil replied vaguely. "An agent is on their way to collect you. Be ready in ten minutes."

She guessed she was going to New Mexico.