Chapter 19

Next time I wake up there's only one person in the room. He's sitting with his arms rested on the side of the bed and his head down. It takes a moment before I realize that the blue tufts of hair belong to Kou. He must have come in to check on me, poor guy probably feels guilty. He was the one driving after all.

From what I can see of his skin, he was lucky. There are a few small cuts littering his arms mixed with some jagged, red cuts that have been stitched together, but nothing too serious. He shifts slightly so that his face is pointed at me. A dark bruise colors the left side of his face and over the bridge of his nose. Other than that, he looks okay, which is good. I don't want anyone else hurt, especially after almost losing Suzume.

On a whim I run my fingers through his hair. It's like touching silk and a lot softer than Gaara's. That's weird, I frown slightly. Why do I remember what Gaara's hair feels like? Could my memory be coming back?

Those thoughts disappear the moment Kou's eyes open. I snatch my hand back and flush in embarrassment. His silver orbs stare at me in amusement. “Did you like the feel of my hair?” He asks, the corner of his mouth lifted in a smirk.

“Yes, I wanted to know what brand of shampoo you use.” I say, covering my embarrassment with a joke.

“Whatever you say,” he chuckles and stretches. The bottom edge of his shirt lifts a little to reveal the bottom of well sculpted abs. I glance away quickly and try to force down a blush. Get it together Namikaze, it's not the first time you've seen a boy's abs. “So how you feeling?”

“Sore, mostly. This cast is irritating though.” I sigh lifting my casted arm in the air. “I wish I had a brush though, my hair probably looks like hell.”

“It's not that bad,” he says, reaching out towards my tangled mop. “If you just smooth this down... Actually you're right, it looks awful.”

“Thanks for the confidence boost,” I mutter, whacking at his hand.

“Anything else wrong?”

“Well, last time I woke up I found out that I've got some memory loss.” I look down at my hands sadly. “I can remember everyone around me, but I forgot my boyfriend. I don't know why it's just him, but from the way he looked at me... and then the crestfallen look on his face when told him I didn't know him... I didn't want to hurt him.”

Kou opens his mouth to say something, then closes it. His face contorts slightly as if he's debating if he should tell me something or not. After a few seconds he lets out a breath and looks at me, eyes serious. “I have to tell you something important. Yesterday, I was coming to see you when I saw Gaara. I figured I should avoid him because the accident was my fault-”

“It's not your fault Kou,” I interject hurriedly. “It's the fault of the idiot drunk driver.”

“No, I should have seen him coming. Anyways I hid so that Gaara wouldn't beat me to a pulp when he ran into a man that looked like an older version of him. I was close enough to hear their conversation and... well I don't know how to say this, but it was Gaara's father and he told Gaara that he staged the accident to kill you.”

“What?” I breath, chest constricting in fear. His father is the Kazekage of the Suna sector! “Am I still in danger?”

“No, when you didn't die he hired a shinobi, yes I know about shinobi, to erase all memories of Gaara from your mind. They're there, but they're locked away. He said only the man who did it can reverse it and he's on a tropical island somewhere.”

“So, I might never get my memories back.” I whisper as tears start to spill from my eyes. “Why would he do something like this?”

“Because Gaara was going to call off his arranged engagement in order to be with you. Now Gaara has to go through with the marriage otherwise he's going to kill you.”