Chapter 10

“What are they doing here?” I ask staring between my adoptive parents and my biological parents.

“Nice to see you too,” Itachi says sarcastically.

“And here I thought you actually liked us,” Sasuke adds with mock hurt. Damn those two clean up nicely. I mean they’re both wearing expensive suits and Itachi has a red silk tie while Sasuke has a midnight blue one. Fugaku’s wearing something similar and Mikoto’s fancy black cocktail dress makes my outfit look like I belong out on the street.

“They’re here for dinner,” Kushina says.

“Oh joy,” I mutter only loud enough for Naruto to hear. “And for what compelled the high and mighty Uchiha’s to come dine with us lowly common folk?” Naruto has to place a hand over his mouth to stifle a laugh and Kushina gives me a disapproving look like she knows I said something rude. I respond by giving her an innocent smile.

“After seeing you I remember how much I missed Kushina,” Mikoto explains. “So I called her to apologize.”

“And your mother invited them to dinner,” Minato adds.

“Traitor,” I mumble and Naruto chuckles.

“Come on,” he whispers and nudges me forward. “It won’t be so bad.” He walks over and shakes Mikoto and Fugaku’s hands while introducing himself. I go to do the same, but stop short when there’s a knock at the door followed by a loud shout.

“Tora! Tora open up, please!” I rush to the door and fling it open to reveal a teary eyed Suzume. She looks like she’s been crying for a while.

“What’s wrong?” I ask pulling her into the house and into a hug.

“M-my parents. W-we don’t have en-ough m-money. S-so they’re ma-making me stay with my U-Uncle while they m-move to America f-for a com-pany that hired my Da-Dad.” She cries. “W-we don’t ha-have enough money fo-or me to g-go with th-them!”

“Let me get this straight,” I pull away and look at her. “You guys are running low on money an your dad took a job in America and they don’t have enough money to bring you with them. So you’re going to be staying with you asshole Uncle and bitchy cousin.”

“Y-Yeah,” she nods.

“Oh you poor child,” I exclaim and hug her again. “Come on you can stay here tonight and I’ll make you feel better by catching you up on my screwed up life. But we have company.” I point over at the Uchiha’s.

“Oh,” she says, her face flushing with embarrassment. “H-Hey Itachi.”

“Suzume,” he says and ruffles her hair.

“Hey!” She shouts in mock anger. “That took me a whole minute to do this morning!”

“I’m going to take Suzume to clean up and we’ll be down for dinner soon.” I say and drag her up to me room.

“Why are the Uchiha’s in your living room?” She asks plopping down on my bed. “I mean I can understand Itachi being here, but no the other three.”

“Mom surprised us.” I sigh. “Apparently she was friends with Itachi’s mom and then they fought. But they ‘reconnected’ today and now I have to sit through an awkward dinner with my adoptive family and my biological family. Oh and Sasuke found out that I’m related to him and now we don’t hate each other anymore.”

“That sucks,” she laughs and wipes her face with a tissue. “The dinner part, not the Sasuke part. That’s pretty cool.”

“Yeah, but now you’re here to sit through it with me!” I say brightly.