Grocery Shopping Is Not A Game

A couple of days later you decided it was completely frugal to go and get some supplies from the supermarket. Dean's presence at home meant more than just loving hugs and regular activities; it meant shopping. For two.

So browsing through the el cheapo shelves, picking out enough food to go another week, two at most, you turned off. Relaxed. For the first time in a while without Dean's help.

But as you neared the checkout, stacking the items onto the conveyor belt, you heard someone call out your name.

Ever so slightly, under the breath. Hiding something, playing around with you.

Everyone in this town knew you by a nickname. Not ______.

You shivered and at last your groceries were being scanned in by the checkout boy. You frowned, seeing he didn't have a name badge as were everyone else. His brown hair was untamed, a beard - stubble here and there - was starting to grow, and with the deep brown baby eyes, it seemed he looked into your soul.

"Hello ______," the checkout boy smiled. "It is ______ _______, right?"

You froze, and the whiplash of déjà vu burned your mind.

Baking pies, abducted by demons, Dean went to hell, pregnancy, Sam went into a cage and then Dean was depressed -

That did happen; you remembered. You'd been there and watched half of it come true. Alive and awake you'd been to see Sam fall in the cage with the other brother, Adam.

But what flashed before, before your eyes: that had been a dream.

A long time ago.

You shuddered. "Dear God," you breathed.

"That's me," he smiled awkwardly. "I've been wanting to see you, _______."

"Piss off?" You started shaking. "No, no, you're not Him. He's the kinda person who ignores his problems until they start causing apocalyptic symptoms."

He continued to scan the items in. "About that..."

"You're not Mr Upstairs, because where were you? I used to think if I'd been a good kid, you'd bring back my family. I saw what happened to them - I was there. I thought you would make it bearable, the pain; that it'd be all nice and well picturesque."

"I can't just bring back people-"

You smiled. "I am in love with Dean Winchester, dude. He's living proof that you can 'just being back people'." The silence was monotonously not silent because of the beeping scanner. "And why would you want to speak to me now? Of all times in my life. It's just started to get good again."

He, God, smiled. Kindly. Like He was supposed to. "I know," he whispered, trying not to be heard by the next customer, "but its important."

You shook your head. "Like what Dean told Castiel," you fished in your wallet for the right amount of money to pay exactly, not wanting to waste any more time on God than needed, "I don't want in."

You quickly loaded the bags into the trolley, and pushed toward the Impala Dean had let you borrow.

And as you turned back, to see God, you frowned. A different guy stood in the place where He had been.

"What is it with non human beings and the wish to play games?" you muttered under your breath, loading the shopping into the backseat.