Too Damn Late

Leaving Dean was the wort decision of your life. Even more worse than becoming a hunter. He was everything; and without him, you were just you again. Weeds on the side of the road were just weeds, and rock music was just noise without him nodding his head to the tune and belting out the lyrics. Food was food, and pie was something you didn't eat unless you wanted to remember that you had left a man destined for hell on his own.

You, in your eyes, were disgraceful. It didn't matter what the dream had told you - you were at fault. It was all on you.

You kept an eye on the days like a prepubescent teen counting down the days until high school.

You woke every morning in a different motel, working odd cases everywhere - a werewolf attack in Atlanta, ghost possession in Idaho, a hoodoo priest in Pennsylvania.

And you counted down Dean's days.

He'd hate you. You hates yourself for what you did. Nobody needed to be walked out on like that.

And it was on the day before Dean was sentenced to go to hell when you booked a flight on a fast plane to where Bobby said they'd be, hoping that you could give him one last kiss. He needed to be strong, and you did too. But if God destined yourself and Dean to be apart, you wondered, how was it you were returning?

A holy plot twist, maybe?

And as soon as the plane touched down you were running, hailing a cab and reciting the address you'd drilled into your mind on the flight over and over again to not feel sick and you were off.

Damn, you thought, I hope to get there in time.

Your legs were tingling with adrenaline and suddenly you couldn't see - and you realised that you had been crying silent salty tears and you also realised that if Dean went to hell there was no coming back. Miracles only happened in the hospital and bible passages, you heard a hunter say years ago.

You hoped to whoever was privy to your thoughts that it wasn't true.

"That'll be ..." The driver ordered and you paid the fare with a smile.

"Thanks," you smiled, and bolted.

You were in the right street; you could see the darling Impala at the end, and you looked at the houses, too perfect and expensive to be anything else.

It was then you saw figures emerging from the shadows, humans. You stilled, trying to hide the gun you had just almost pulled out from the secret place it had been hidden but then you saw their eyes.

Black. As the Pit itself.

You counted the figures and it came to you that there were more than a hundred possessed humans in the area. Too many to possibly exorcise and trick into a demon trap.

You swore violently under your breath - the elder Winchester had rubbed off on you - and walked toward the house which you had memorised the address of. Where all those demons were headed toward, protecting it with a barrier made by themselves.

You walked in calmly inside, and followed the sounds of the shouting until you found out the position of all the boys.

A blonde girl, your age, was grimly shaking her head, and you saw Dean and Sam standing in the middle of the circle on the floor.

"Dean!" you yelled.

You saw his green eyes find yours and widen. "______?" you heard through the door.

You watched as the blonde looked you over and quickly opened the door to let you in. "Who's she?" you asked.

To which Sam replied, "Ruby. An ally."

You nodded, and looked back to Dean. "I'm sorry. Don't forgive me, I'm such a dickbag," you pleaded, "I just needed to make sure you got this."

And you kissed him.

You grabbed his head and attached your lips to his, and after a second he kissed back, his hands wrapping themselves around your body. As if made for each other. You lowered your hands to cradle his shoulders, and as you broke away you whispered in his ear, "it'll be fine, Dean, don't worry. I'll always love you."

You closed your eyes and felt tears again.

"Don't cry," Dean whispered to you. "It'll be okay, I promise. Find yourself a guy, settle down. Have kids. Leave this life. You deserve it."

You hiccuped through your tears, "you deserve not to go to hell, Dean, I love you."

The clock struck midnight.

"I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy," Ruby said grimly and you could see the fear lit up on Dean's face.

"Don't watch this," he told you. "I'm going now."

You shook your head. "No," you whispered, "no, no, no, this is - no!"

You heard Dean order Sam to hold you back and get you to look away. You thrashed and kicked in Sam'a grip, and you turned your just to see Dean's shirt and flesh tear with claw shaped rips.

"No!" You screamed. "No!"

"I'll be fine," Dean managed to say.

And he was gone.