Chapter Seven; Everything.

Chapter Seven

Everything

“Faye, you have to focus.” Landon whispered as he placed his hands on her small shoulders, staring at her intensly. She nodded her head slowly before closing her eyes as tightly as she could. Her long, blonde ringlets framed her face perfectly as she placed her hands out before her, trembling slightly.

All six of us where outside in a 'hidden' field that was full of beautiful, vibrant flowers and shining green blades of grass that screamed to be rolled in but we couldn't do that. It'd been a week since we learned that we were to begin training for war and it was no more clearer to any of us than the moment the words had left the mans lips. I still didn't understand how Jace touching me could start some sort of war but I knew that Landon was serious and it was best if we were prepared.

I looked up at the beautiful blue sky , a bitter laugh escaping my chapped lips as I shook my head lightly. Two weeks ago I was just a babysitter trying to earn a little cash and now...now I was so much more than that, even if I didn't know what that truly was.

“She can't do it!” I heard Sage yell frustradly somewhere in the backround as I kneeled down, clutching a dewy blade of grass in my finger and playing with it, my mind swirling with hundreds of different thoughts as it slipped through my fingers. I thought about the stupid concert that I was bound to miss, my family who was probably wondering where the heck I was, and lastly I thought about little Faye and how she may just be as powerless as me.

A harsh jerk of my shoulder sent me right back to reality as the cool breeze sent my dark hair floating around my face. I turned my head upwards to look at who had rudely interrupted me and standing there was Joel, a look of pure anger twisting his boyish features as he tapped his foot against the soft ground impatiently.

“What's wrong Joel?” I asked as I slowly stood up to face him. His shocking blue eyes glinted with something I couldn't quite read before he started talking quickly, a suprising edge to his usual calm voice.

“Landon keeps pushing Faye and she can't do it! Me and Sage are sick of him!”

I nodded at him, placing a hand gently on his shoulder as I looked over to where Faye was standing in front of Landon, tears brimming in her eyes as her cheeks flushed pink.

“Look Joel, apparently we need Landon and as much as I agree with you we need to do whatever he says cause he's the only one we can trust right now.” I whispered cautiously as I watched Landon losing his temper a bit and throwing his hands up in the air as he walked away from Faye who was now wailing, tears streaming down her small face. “I'll talk to him okay.” I continued before squeezing Joel's shoulder and walking towards where Landon was now pacing by an old oak tree.

“Landon that's not cool!” I hissed at him as I walked right in front of where he was pacing, stopping him in his tracks. He gave me a look of disgust before pushing past me and pacing again.

I grabbed onto his shoulder angrily, turning him towards me, anger twisting my features as I glanced over to where Faye was standing, Sage and Remy trying their best to cheer her up. Joel was standing nearby them , his fists clenched by his sides.

“You're supposed to be helping us, you're supposed to be on our side but all you've done this week is belittle them and push them past their breaking points!” I screamed, unable to control my anger anymore. The weight of the entire situation finally breaking me, something I had tried so hard to keep from happening. I could feel all the kids eyes on me as I continued, unable to stop as Landon stared at me blankly.

“What about me huh? You gonna tell me where I fit into this? Or are you just gonna continue to ignore me. Don't you think for a second that maybe I'm going crazy here, that all of this may be just too much to take in, in such a short amount of time!” I was screaming at the top of my lungs but I couldn't stop it was like I was a soda can that had been shooken for so long that the top finally popped off. I could feel the shocked glances as tears welled up in my eyes.

“What do you want?” Landon asked simply as he looked at me his dark eyebrow cocked sending me off into a full blown rage of pure crazy.

“I want you to tell me things! Tell me what the heck is going on really!” I roared as I walked closer to him, face to face as I flailed my arms around dramtically. He glared at me steadily, as he challenged me with his dark eyes.

I've won a couple staring contests in my day, bring it evil twin look a like.

He tore his gaze away before sighing and running a hand through his short, black hair.

“Look, fine I'll tell you. I didn't want to but I guess I have no choice.” He said a hint of annoyance in his voice as he shook his head slowly, a tired look in his dark eyes as he brought his gaze back to mine.

I could feel the kids gathering around cautiously as they waited expectantly, keeping a safe distance from me incase I decided to start throwing punches or rip my clothes off like the hulk or something.

“This isn't just a war against Jace.” Landon started slowly as he looked at each one of us carefully before continuing. “It's much, much bigger than that. Much bigger than him.” I could feel the kids shifting uncomfortably around me as I bit the inside of my cheek. The cool wind whipped around us sending shivers up my spine.

“What do you mean?” Sage asked, his voice quavering a bit but I could tell he was trying to hide it.

“I mean you four are no match against what's coming for you. You will all be squashed like the little, tiny useless bugs you are.” Landon said matter-o-factly. His dark eyes danced with something as he folded his arms over his chest, creasing his white lab coat.

“Gee thanks for the pep talk.” Remy muttered to herself as the sky started to darken around

us, signaling that training would soon be over for the day.

“I'm serious. Sage is the only one who'd stand a snowball's chance but the rest of you...I mean look at little Faye, she doesn't even have any powers so she's no use.” Landon continued, his voice cold.

“I have powers!” Faye whined from behind me, her voice thick with tears as she stomped at the ground furiously.

“Oh yeah, none of which have made an appearance.” Landon countered, his voice mocking as his dark eyes danced with amusement. I glared daggers at him before he cleared his throat and started explaining everything to us again. I could hear Faye whispering angrily in the backround to someone but Landon just ignored it as he moved on.

“The only chance you have at winning is Skye. So that is where you come in darling.” He announced as he looked over at me. I raised an eyebrow motioning for him to continue, hoping that he wouldn't just leave it at that.

“Skye is the key. Whichever side has the key can unlock all the doors.” Landon continued slowly, willing us to understand. I bit my lip as I waited for more information to add to the puzzle that was now forming in my mind.

“What is this whole thing about anyway?” Sage asked as he walked closer to Landon, seperating himself from the rest of the kids as he pulled a hand through his messy brown hair.

“Good and evil.” Landon answered simply as he unfolded his arms and brushed non-exsistant particles of dirt from his clean lab coat. “Of course it's much,much more complex. I'm not getting into that now though.”

“Say we fail. What do we lose?” I asked quietly, frustrated that he was still holding things back from us but determined to squeeze as much information out of him as possible.

“Everything, Skye. You lose everything.