Chapter Six; War.

Chapter Six

War

I shook my head at him in disbelief as I began to loosen my grip on his arm. More big, armed men swarmed in as I could hear one bellowing that Jace was on his way. Sage's eyes grew as wide as saucers as I began wiggling free of his grasp. Two more men grabbed onto my legs, ripping my dark wash jeans as they clawed and pulled, their faces twisted with pure determination and malice.

“No.” Sage said as he tightened his grip on my hand, flames reflecting in his hazel eyes as a snarl came over his face. I looked at him incredeously as he held a huge ball of fire in his right hand. Dark smoke floated around it as all of the men seemed to stop and watch in awe and confusion as they loosened up on my legs.

“Let go of her or I'll torch the place.” Sage demanded as he challenged each and every one of the men in there with his eyes. They all seemed to shift uncomfortably before growling and backing away from where I was dangling in mid air. My legs burned from the claw marks as I looked around the room at the snarling, bulky men.

“That's what I thought.” Sage said, a dangerous smile on his face as he carefully pulled me up with him, sending us tumbling onto the sky roof, the blue sky shining above us. Joel was panting as a look of pure relief flooded his features.

“Man Sage...that was awesome.” Joel breathed as he pushed the sticky, blonde hair from his eyes. Faye nodded wildly as she ran over to Sage flinging herself into his arms. He ran a hand through his messy brown hair awkwardly before hugging her back. A small smile forming on his face as he looked around at all five of us slowly.

“Thanks Sage.” I praised as the cool, welcoming breeze blew strands of my dark hair flying everywhere, I squinted as I looked up, the sun beaming down on us. He nodded slightly at me before releasing Faye from the hug and walking over to where Remy was sitting, her head in her hands.

“You alright?” He asked quietly as he kneeled down and pulled strands of hair away from her face. She looked up at him tiredly before slowly nodding her head and smiling weakly.

“You did really good today.” He whispered in her ear before standing back up and walking away towards the edge of the roof, looking down, a slight frown forming on his face as he pondered something, his dark brows kneaded together in thought.

“Get those kids, don't let them get away you idiots!” A velvety voice that could only belong to Jace roared from inside the room as the sound of feet shuffeling around wildly reached our ears. I could feel all the hairs on my arms stand up as I stood and ran over to where Sage was standing, completely frozen.

“How did you guys get up here?” I asked frantically as I looked around for a ladder or a rope, coming up with nothing.

“We climbed that tree and jumped.” Sage stated as he pointed over to a large,towering oak tree that was only a couple of feet away from where we were on the sky roof. I bit my lip as I looked down at the sparse grass below knowing that if we missed or landed on a thin branch we were surely high enough to break something, and that would not be good.

“Okay, can any of you by any chance, fly?” I asked as I looked at the four kids who all shook their heads slowly. I laughed lightly before seeing the tip of a silver ladder poking through the small hole which jolted me back to reality.

“Okay, so we'll jump. Aim for a sturdy branch and climb down as quickly as you can once you hit one. Remy, do you think you can do it?” I asked as I glanced over at her. She grimaced, as she pushed her self up, wobbling on unsteady legs.

“I'll go with her.”Joel said as he walked over to Remy and put a steadying arm over her shoulder before leading her to the edge of the roof. I could hear the sound of clumsy feet on steel and knew we only had moments before they would come spilling over. I hoped that the small hole would hold them back for a couple minutes as Joel and Remy jumped off of the side of the building and landed on a sturdy tree branch, scrambling down as best as they could.