Chapter 4

Mae stood regally in a dusty blue gown inlayed with rare green gems and ivory in the center of the room when Raina walked in.  Her sister was the epitome of what a queen should look like:  willowy but strong, sympathetic but determined, and her head was always held high.  She no longer hung her head low like a servant.

She bowed when she saw Raina and then opened her arms for a hug which Raina gladly walked into.

“Mae, what are you doing here?” she asked delightfully as they walked further into the royal courtroom.

Mae laughed, “I need a reason to visit my sister?”

Raina cocked her eyebrow, “In the middle of fitfully sporadic battles? Yes, otherwise I would see no wrong in a visit.”

Mae frowned, “Yes, I guess you could say it is a mixture of politics and family and something else…”  Mae’s eyes darted around the room.

Raina stopped in her tracks and looked at her sister, “What is it, Mae?”

Mae’s face light up brightly, “Raina, I am getting married.”

“What?  When?”

“It won’t be for a few months, but it has not been announced officially yet in Vanaheim, so keep it between us,” Mae’s eyes still searched the room.

Raina grabbed Mae’s shoulders and smiled, “Mae, this is fantastic.  Of course, it will be between us; I won’t even tell Loki until you are ready to publicize it.  Who is he?”

“He is a diplomat of Vanaheim.  His name is Aiden.  Raina, he is such a wonderful man and he has been helping me along the way.  It was his suggestion to marry, share the responsibilities of running a realm together,” Mae’s cheek glowed red.

Raina giggled, “Mae, you are sweet on this man!  It sounds like it will be a great marriage.  Did I tell you I met an Aiden when I was on Midgard?  Poor man.  Jane left him for Thor, but he didn’t seem too heartbroken by it…”

“I bet he found someone who completes him just like Jane and Thor, you and Loki,”

“Maybe.  Would you like to have to have some lunch?”

“I couldn’t pass up lunch with my favorite person.”

“Soon, I will be your second favorite,” they laughed while locking arms and heading towards the kitchen.

“I missed Mae?” Loki asked as he walked into the library where Raina was reading a book on her family history.  He had changed from his war gear into his casual clothing.

She saw a grim look on his face and worried.  She placed the book on the table and covered it with another book, “Uh, yes, she left a few minutes ago.”  She walked to him and placed her hand on his cheek, “Is something wrong?”