Live With Yourself

(First chapter woo. This is from Clemmy's point of view. I don't know every line word for word, so in going to try my best. Hope you enjoy!!)

I look to my left, only to see a depressed Christa. Her eyes watched the delicacy of the barely burning fire. It killed me knowing she was dying inside.

Almost two years ago, her husband, or boyfriend, was shot and killed. I saw it with my own two eyes. It was my fault and I don't know how I get up everyday knowing I caused his death.

I let out a large sigh and finally work up the courage to speak to her.

"Christa. Talk to me," I said, slightly scared of a response. I was sort of relieved when I saw her get up and walk towards the fire. She had every reason to kill me right now.

"This will never work.." she mumbles. Her voice was like sandpaper. She was probably annoyed with the thought of my presence.

Poking the fire with a stick, her eyes wandered up to mine. "You should be doing this, not me," she whispered in a firm tone. "Tending to a fire, so you can stay warm. You need to learn how to do this things, Clementine, otherwise.." She didn't continue, but I already knew what she meant. Otherwise, I'd end up dead.

"Omid wanted to--"

"I know what Omid said." Christa snapped. I couldn't believe I had the courage to mention him.

I stared down at the faded blue of my denim jeans as the small crackle of the fire continues to pop. I cling onto my arms, desperate to be warm.

"It's okay, Christa. I can wait." I tried to make this easier on her.

"All we do is wait.. and for what?" Her voice cracked. My eyes filled with sorrow as I looked away.

"I miss Lee.." I managed to choke out. Christa looked up at me with sad eyes, showing concern for my feelings. "I bet you do,"

Christa stood up and threw the stick to the side of the fire pit. "I'm gonna go look for more wood," she said. She tromped into the woods in complete silence.

I got up from the log I was sitting on and kneeled down by my old backpack. Unzipping it, the first thing I saw was an old picture of Lee. I pulled it out and stared at it for a few moments.

I shoved it into my back pocket, not wanting to remind myself of the tragedy that happened when I was an ignorant teenager.

The next thing that I saw in my pack was an old drawing of Kenny and his family. God, how I would kill to go back to the days where we argued over a motel and an RV.

Finally, I dug into the bottom of my pack and pulled out a silver lighter. I smiled at the half-peeled-off butterfly sticker that was messily stuck on it a while back.

I grabbed my items and placed them towards the fire. I picked up the stick Christa had used and gently poked at the flames, shaking my head in disappointment.

An old log on the side caught my attention. I couldn't bear to burn the drawing or the old photograph, so I threw that in instead. The fire got larger, and I sighed in relief.

Suddenly, I heard voices behind the trees. Was it Christa? Slowly stepping toward the voices, my eyes widened to see a few guys surrounding Christa.

"Don't fucking lie to me, lady!" yelled one guy.

"Where's the rest of your group?" demanded another.

"I-I'm myself!" Christa held up her hands.

"Bullshit!" said some Hispanic guy. (I s2g if I get called racist for this)

After a few seconds of panicking, I picked up a stone and threw it at a tree that was beside her.

"Christa, run!" I screamed.

Christa began running away, and so did I. I looked behind me, only to see one of the guys that attacked Christa chasing me.

I quickly hid behind a tree as I tried to process what just happened.

"Get the fuck out here, kid!" he screeched.

Walkers came out of nowhere. I ran faster. the man grabbed me and I begin to bite on his thumb aggressively.

He let out a large yelp as he released his grip. I grabbed a nearby tree limb and jabbed him in the chest.

"Jesus, are you fucking kidding me?!"

I tried to hide in a log, but he ended up pulling me out and pinning me down.

I kept kicking at his legs and stomach when I finally kicked him off and a walker grabbed his arm. One grabbed me, too.

I managed to get it to release it's grip on me and it took his attention to the other dude. He screamed in horror as it viciously began to devour him.

I crawled towards the river and saw the amount of walkers following me. I took a rock and threw it at the closest one.

I accidentally scooted too far and fell backwards, into the river.

All I heard was the rushing sound of water and my screams.