Chapter 8

The pool was quiet when we arrived on the Friday morning. I had gotten up early that morning and Dad was determined to make the most of the rare occurrence.

And that was why I was lying – half asleep – on the sun-bed, wondering how much I would have to pay for somebody to stand and fan me with a leaf. Not a lot hopefully, my job at the local pub only paid so much.

“Are you planning on lying there all day?” Dad asked.

I groaned in conformation before turning over so that I was facing him.

“Are you not going to play golf?” I said, dad had taken to playing golf every day so far.

“No. The course is closed this morning, so you’re free to go find your friend if you want to,” he told me before turning his attention back to his kindle.

I thought about what he said. I didn’t particularly want to find Fletcher, he had abandoned me last night after all but I did fancy a walk around and maybe I could grab a drink on the way.

As I walked along the pathway that snaked around the pool I marvelled at how well cared for this place was. It was probably this that caused my attention to waver, and so I didn’t notice Fletcher walking towards me with a determined expression on his face.

I wasn’t sure why he always seemed to be around when I went for a wander – perhaps he was stalking me – I didn’t know, and I couldn’t be bothered to think about it.

“Hey,” I said awkwardly deciding that the best option would be to pretend that I hadn’t noticed his absence last night.

Fletcher obviously disagreed with this plan though.

“Sorry I wasn’t there last night.”

“Were you not there?” I asked trying to sound casual, it came out high pitched and forced though.

Fletcher gave me a look that told me he thought I was insane. Maybe I was.

“Anyway, my parents dragged me to dinner,” Fletcher pulled a face as he remembered it, “something about how this is a family holiday and that it’s important we eat together and do new things together. They took me to that Cape Verdean restaurant.”

I nodded as he spoke, at least now I knew that the reason he didn’t turn up wasn’t because he was sick of me.

 “Poor Fletcher,” I teased, “I’m sure it was such a difficult experience.”

“You don’t know what you’re talking about,” Fletcher replied, “so I’m going to have to drag you along with me next time.”

I laughed at that, Fletcher could be funny when he wanted to be; assuming he was joking which I sure as hell hoped he was. We were acquaintances; acquaintances did not go to dinner with each other’s parents.

Deciding to ignore what Fletcher said I turned to him with an expectant expression on my face.

“Have you got any plans for today?” I asked not wanting to seem desperate but also knowing I would be bored without his company.

“Not really. Why?”

“I was wondering if you wanted to hang out, it can’t be long till volleyball starts,” I replied.

“Are you asking me out on a date Nell?” Fletcher teased with a smile.

I decided to ignore the fact that he called me Nell. He obviously wasn’t going to stop and so I couldn’t be bothered to waste my breath.

“No,” I replied because I wasn’t.

“Are you sure?”

“Yes!” I told him, “How is this any different from yesterday?”