Chapter 10

We all huddled around Lia as we waited for further instructions.

"Welcome to the Boa Vista Turtle Sanctuary," she began, "here we work to ensure the safety of the turtles and the success of their efforts to breed. Here on the Cape Verdean Islands it is still legal to eat the turtle meat and so we must work to protect them. The team here live at the camp and patrol the beaches all day and night."

She gestured around the camping area and at several people who I assumed were part of the team working here.

"The turtles tend to come here in the late summer months and lay a large amount of eggs," she continued, "The team then collect these eggs - to ensure that they are not below the tide line - and place them in the hatchery. We then escort the hatchlings down to the beach when they are born. This way they are ensured a higher chance of survival. Does anybody have any questions so far?"

There was a murmur from the group as they said that they didn't and Fletcher turned to whisper something in my ear.

"This is so cool Nell, thanks for bringing me," he said.

I wanted to reply but I couldn't, Fletcher turned and refocused his attention on Lia before I had a chance to speak.

"Tonight you will get a chance to see the process that I have told you about. The team are all in possession of a Walkie Talkie and the group patrolling the beach will message me when they spot a turtle. Until then we have a small presentation and then all that's left to do is wait," she finished with a flourish.

The next twenty minutes passed with her telling us about why this was such a good spot for the turtles and the dangers the turtles faced. Twenty minutes passed without a turtle.

Once the 'presentation' was over Lia told us to make ourselves comfortable and prepare to wait. She didn't think it would be that long but told us to take a seat anyway. Fletcher and I settled down on a hammock a little way off from everyone else.

"I'm really excited," he told me as if that fact wasn't obvious from the expression on his face.

"Same."

"I bet I'm more excited," he challenged.

"I bet you are too."

"You're boring."

"Thanks."

"Are you being sarcastic again?" he asked unsure.

I laughed and turned to look at him properly, his forehead was creased as if he was deliberating over something and he quickly changed his expression when he caught me looking at him.

"Yes Fletch, I am," I replied.

"You called me Fletch!"

"Congratulations, you are capable of hearing, would you like a medal?" I said.

"Sarcasm?"

"You're getting better at this," I teased.

"Thanks."

The whole campsite had settled into a comfortable quietness and so Fletcher and I adjusted our conversation to fit in. I was so immersed in what Fletcher was saying that it was only when Lia announced that we should probably go see the hatchery whilst we waited that I realised an hour had already passed without a sign of at turtle.

"No luck so far hey," Fletcher muttered as we made our way out of the camp area.

It was pitch black and the only light the group was allowed was three red LED lights that cast little light.

I kept my eyes on the ground knowing that I was probably five seconds away from falling on my face and so I refused to join in when Fletcher tried to continue the conversation from earlier and nearly had a heart attack when we started walking on sand and the ground became even more uneven.