Chapter 9

For the second time in as many days I was stood in front of my wardrobe deliberating over what to wear.

Who the hell brought warm, black clothes with them on holiday?

People who had known they were going turtle watching that’s who and unfortunately I did not fit in with that particular group and so I had not brought clothing that came under the requirements.

I glanced at all my clothing option again. The only black think I had with me was a tank top, which also happened to have SUN! written across it in neon green, I wasn’t sure that that was the best thing to be wearing and it sure as hell wasn’t going to keep me warm.

Eventually I settled on dark grey t-shirt and the jeans I had travelled in. It was going to have to do and I was just going to have to hope that they had exaggerated the chilliness of the island at night.

I pulled my clothes on as quickly as I could before stumbling around the room – my jeans were still stuck around my feet – trying to collect all the stuff I needed for tonight. Glancing at the list I was pretty sure I had everything, minus warm clothing but I lived in England for god’s sake, I was pretty sure I was going to be fine.

For once I wasn’t late to meet up with Dad and Kyle. I had expected that it might take me a while to pick my outfit for tonight and so I had headed in early. That was why when I emerged onto the corridor my family was nowhere in sight.

They came out of their own room a couple of minutes later and I looked at them with mock disapproval. Kyle looked nervous for a few moments until I broke into laughter and he realised I was joking. The look on his face was priceless though.

“Are you ready to move Nell?” Dad asked, putting on his backpack and tightening the straps.

“Yep,” I replied happily.

I was actually surprised by how excited I was. At first the idea of freezing my butt off on a beach at midnight whilst attempting to find a turtle had not seemed all that appealing – I can’t think why – but now that it was actually happening I was really looking forward to it. It would be so cool if we actually got to see a wild turtle.

Dad motioned for me to lead the way. I was supposed to be taking us to Fletcher’s room and I could only pray that I could remember his room number correctly. I wasn’t exactly known for my memory and Fletcher talked very fast.

Luckily the door I knocked on was answered by Fletcher and I was greeted with a wave and his bag being shoved in my face.

“Hold this!” he said before turning back into his room and shutting the door in my face.

Okay then.

Fletcher returned a few minutes later and suddenly my earlier question was answered. Because who brought warm, black clothes on holiday with them? Fletcher, Fletcher did.

He was wearing black jeans and was wrapped in a black hoodie, I could only assume that he had a black t-shirt on underneath. To be honest it wouldn’t surprise me if Fletcher had black boxers on underneath. Not that I was thinking about Fletcher’s underwear or anything.

The four of us made our way out of the block that Fletcher’s room was in and towards the hotel reception.

“Last chance to go to the loo guys, anybody need to go, Nell, Kyle, Fletcher?” my Dad said.

I resisted the urge to cringe. I had a bad feeling that I was going to end up regretting asking Fletcher to come with us. It wasn’t based on any previous experience – Dad had never been introduced to any of my boy friends (or boyfriends) – it was more like a feeling in my stomach that warned me that things were not going to go to plan.